med school suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hey, I'm trying to figure out what my school list should be. After reading a couple posts, I've realized that I might need to re-do my list because of my GPA.

cGPA: ~3.15
sGPA: ~3.3 (These are guesses, we'll have to see how AMCAS decides to calculate it... Those numbers include the postbacc courses I took to fulfill my prereqs. I had a 4.0 GPA there.)
MCAT: 39Q
Residency: CA
Major: Engineering

~130 hrs volunteering
~30 hrs shadowing a primary care physician
- no publications, but various R&D engineering projects
- full-time job as engineer between undergrad and applying to med school

"safeties" - I'm not sure any school counts as a safety with my low GPA...
Brown University
University of N. Carolina-Chapel Hill
University of Iowa
UC Los Angeles
UC Davis

"everything else" - it'll be a crapshoot I'm sure...
University of Michigan
Stanford University
UC Irvine
UC San Francisco
Case Western Reserve
Dartmouth Medical School
UC San Diego
University of Colorado
University of Virginia
Mount Sinai
New York University

If UCs really do screen based on GPA (and totally ignore high MCATs), then I should probably just skip them and save myself the money..

I put together the list based on my interest in doing a mix of applied research / clinical care. I realize that I don't have strict biomedical research, but I've read that the point of having research is exposure to / success in non-classroom scientific environments. (I'm sure at the top, top research schools it is key, but that's neither here nor there.)

Opinions! Let's hear them. Thanks in advance~

Members don't see this ad.

Are you being sarcastic with your school list? Seeing UCLA listed as a safety was a first for me (as well as most of the other schools you put down). Your list is too top heavy. I don't see any safeties on there at all.

I think you might be aiming a little too high with your GPA....

IMO those are all reach schools for you

Wow. You seriously...wow. Please get yourself a MSAR and take a hard look at your numbers vs. the accepted student's numbers of the school. MCAT is great, but you know the rest.