Med School through Postbac/SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FauxMinkFur

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
Long time reader of the forums but this is my first post, please forgive and feel free to point out any lapse in SDN etiquette on my part.

I'm currently a Junior with a 3.3 gpa (includes 3 C's, 3 W's, multiple B's). I've been working at a professor's lab since the summer of 2016, am part of a few clubs that I sometimes participate in, but have no real leadership experience. Other than that I've probably logged about 100 hours of volunteering doing random events on campus.

As you can see my gpa and extracurriculars are subpar at best, and I've pretty much given up on applying to a DO/MD school at the end of my junior year. I've been looking at various postbac/SMP programs, but found that many did not accept students who have already taken a majority of their science courses during their undergrad. Are there any postbac/SMP programs in particular that anyone would recommend I look into? I'm particularly interested in schools that have a linkage program. Also wondering if my stats are even competitive enough to get into one of these postbac/SMP programs.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

3.3 is not a death sentence for DO especially, but it depends on a lot of other factors such as trends, your MCAT score, sGPA etc. the lack of clinical exposure and volunteering is definitely something you would need to brush up on though, but I think that's more of a personally motivated direction rather than something a postbac will help with.