Med schools and math

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucky Buck

Peeping Torgo
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sure this is a consideration for a lot of non-trads. The last math class I had was algebra and it was 10 years ago. I am now starting a post bacc. I am planning on retaking algebra (got a B the first time). My question is...now that I am trying to impress med schools with my post bacc performance....should I go the more difficult math route, ie. algebra>precalc>calc I w/geom>statistics? Or should I take the most expediant path and the easier one, ie. algebra>methods of Calculus>stats? I would say more than half of the pre-meds at my school go the methods of calc route.

Members don't see this ad.

Check the requirements of the schools to which you expect to apply (I know the list is fluid at this time... so cast as wide a hypothetical net as you can). Some schools require calculus.

Either way, I'll be taking a Calc class. One path is a little easier than the other....that's why I am curious what path would benifit me as far as med schools go. At this point, is it going to make a difference as far as admissions go if I were to take the additional maths and the harder calc class or take the path of least resistence?

Members don't see this ad :)
The adcomms members (most from a biology/medicine background) are unlikely to know or care about the difference between the difficult or easy math classes. Unless you are good at math and interested in those hard classes, take the easier route.

Sorry Lucky Buck, I was incoherent in my last post. The point is, not all med schools even require calc so they certainly don't care what math classes you took beyond it. Like TheGalvaniFrog said, unless you can use math to pad your GPA (some of us are a little weird like that, right?), then choose the path of least resistance - few med school adcom members will know the difference between Calc I and Differential Geometry.

I've got a similar situation with Physics! My school offers College Physics (Decaf) and General Physics (Caffeineated). College Physics is technically all I need....I'm guessing I can go this route and not worry about adcomms thinking I have an inferior intellect because I didn't take hard core physics (based on what others posted...they wouldn't know the difference??). As for the upper divisions, I have a MS in biomedical science already but, I'm definitely going to take more upper division science as soon as i can finish these prereqs.:thumbup: