Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Med Schools and MCAT

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by sunshine02, 10.01.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. sunshine02

sunshine02 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Do schools generally look down on an MCAT score that is 2-3 pts below their average? Will they automatically screen the applicant out? I heard some schools do that but not sure if that was just a rumor or the truth.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. cactus8910

cactus8910

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Clearly people at and even below their 10th percentile have gotten in, so they can't possibly automatically reject everyone below the average. Obviously you have a better shot if you're closer to/above their average, and those with lower MCATs may be considered after others have been interviewed.

Earl Simmons likes this.
  4. Earl Simmons

Earl Simmons 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    As an anecdote, I got an interview at a Top 20 school with an mcat 3 points below their average (I'm not URM). I'm sure there are tons of other people with similar luck.

5. Jepstein30

Jepstein30 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    it's an average MCAT.

that pretty much implies that they accept and matriculate people who have an MCAT below the average (unless of course they only accept people who hit the average exactly and reject everyone above/below).

seriously, I think some people forget the meaning of average around here.

cactus8910 and Hospitalized like this.
  6. sunshine02

sunshine02 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You have a great point. It's just stressful when that's the only number you're given and you just automatically start comparing yourself to that number...

7. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor Gold Donor 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Academic Administration
    Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    The MSAR gives you the median as well as the 10th and 90th %ile. Use these points to assess your candidacy.

Last edited: 10.02.14
    cactus8910 likes this.
  8. Afford

Afford

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I think you have a chance as long as everything else is strong. Also, some schools care more about the MCAT than others.

9. moisne

moisne 2+ Year Member

I was 2 points lower than my school average - it's fine. Just have a higher GPA, life experience, maturity, and good interview skills.

About the ads