1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
Hey, Guest, do you know how much will it cost you to apply to medical school? Check out SDN's Medical School Application Cost Calculator and plan your budget.

Med Schools and MCAT

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by sunshine02, Oct 1, 2014.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. sunshine02

sunshine02 5+ Year Member

Mar 25, 2012
    Do schools generally look down on an MCAT score that is 2-3 pts below their average? Will they automatically screen the applicant out? I heard some schools do that but not sure if that was just a rumor or the truth.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. cactus8910

cactus8910

Jul 8, 2014
    MDApps:
    Clearly people at and even below their 10th percentile have gotten in, so they can't possibly automatically reject everyone below the average. Obviously you have a better shot if you're closer to/above their average, and those with lower MCATs may be considered after others have been interviewed.

Earl Simmons likes this.
  4. Earl Simmons

Earl Simmons 5+ Year Member

Mar 6, 2011
    As an anecdote, I got an interview at a Top 20 school with an mcat 3 points below their average (I'm not URM). I'm sure there are tons of other people with similar luck.

5. Jepstein30

Jepstein30 2+ Year Member

Jun 29, 2011
    it's an average MCAT.

that pretty much implies that they accept and matriculate people who have an MCAT below the average (unless of course they only accept people who hit the average exactly and reject everyone above/below).

seriously, I think some people forget the meaning of average around here.

cactus8910 and Hospitalized like this.
  6. sunshine02

sunshine02 5+ Year Member

Mar 25, 2012
    You have a great point. It's just stressful when that's the only number you're given and you just automatically start comparing yourself to that number...

7. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor Lifetime Donor Gold Donor SDN Moderator 5+ Year Member

The MSAR gives you the median as well as the 10th and 90th %ile. Use these points to assess your candidacy.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    cactus8910 likes this.
  8. Afford

Afford 2+ Year Member

Jul 29, 2014
    I think you have a chance as long as everything else is strong. Also, some schools care more about the MCAT than others.

9. moisne

moisne 2+ Year Member

Jan 7, 2014
    I was 2 points lower than my school average - it's fine. Just have a higher GPA, life experience, maturity, and good interview skills.