Med schools where students LOVE medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdude

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a graduate student at the University of Houston (philosophy right now, but I may switch to mathematics--still checking out the departments). I'd considered med school before, and got a 34 on the MCAT, but also got cold feet and didn't apply anywhere.

Recently I discovered *Harrison's Internal Medicine* and sort of went nuts over it. I've got several other medical books now, and I really love reading them, and I'm also getting a kick out of learning ausculatory skills.

So it sounds like I could really ENJOY medical school, but I'm really sensitive to depressing environments. I went to Baylor to get a book I needed from their bookstore, and I thought the school had a kind of oppressive rabbit-warren atmosphere. Students scurried around like frightened bunnies. A doctor I know said most med schools are like that.

EDIT: WARNING! PLEASE DON'T TAKE THE FOLLOWING PARAGRAPH LITERALLY (I forget that doctors tend to do that). I'm being extreme and facetious; I hate biochem, and if a lot of my classmates were crazy about the Krebs cycle I would be very afraid that they were involved with drugs, cults, or mind control.

So basically I'm looking for a med school where a significant number of students get really excited in histology and gross anatomy lab, and then get the formalin out of their systems by playing ultimate frisbee barefoot on a nice, grassy quad, and still can't wait for the evening study session because the Krebs cycle is SO COOL. :laugh:

I really appreciate any suggestions. I just don't want to risk being locked in a dingy building with sadistic instructors and paranoid, miserable classmates. I got all I can take of that at the University of Chicago (BTW, I didn't graduate; I escaped).
:)

Thanks again for any input.

Dave

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I can't say that I get all that excited about histology or the Krebs cycle, but at my school (Medical College of Wisconsin) students hardly scurry around like scared rabbits. The school environment is really collegial, the majority of professors and lecturers are great and really want us to learn what they are teaching, and there are all sorts of extracurricular activites, intramurals and volunteer activities that people are really passionate about.
I DO get excited about learning clinical things, and getting experience with patients, and even pharm and path, since they are so much more relevant than biochem, etc., but I think you'll be hard-pressed to find people AS passionate about the basic sciences as they are about taking care of patients and clinical problems (if you find that the opposite describes you, a graduate program in basic science may be more suited to your needs). And I won't lie, there are lots of times where we are all stressed out and cranky (like now with boards and finals around the corner, for instance). But for the most part, I haven't ever experienced anything like the type of environment you describe.

Come to Tulane. We play as hard as we work, and we love life. Plus, you can't beat New Orleans.

Read posts on here and on interviewfeedback.com about Tulane, and you will see that people here are really happy. Check us out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ya know what? There are times during med school, at every med school, when we scurry around like frightened rabbits. Sad, but true. I don't think you can escape that.

But we also blow off time playing Ultimate in the sun. There are good times and there are not-so-good times. It all comes in the same package. You won't be able to escape all scurrying (adjusting to life while everyone else is scared alongside you during the first two months, for instance) -- but you'll get your breaks. :)

sdude said:
...I just don't want to risk being locked in a dingy building with sadistic instructors and paranoid, miserable classmates. I got all I can take of that at the University of Chicago (BTW, I didn't graduate; I escaped).
:)

Thanks again for any input.

Dave
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: HAHAHAHAHAH..
what about sadistic classmates and sadistic instructors? HAHAHAHA!! Tell me about it!

peptidoglycan said:
Come to Tulane. We play as hard as we work, and we love life. Plus, you can't beat New Orleans.

Read posts on here and on interviewfeedback.com about Tulane, and you will see that people here are really happy. Check us out.

Very, very, very true.

I used to get a little nutty a day or two before a big exam, but that was usually because I spent most of the course slacking off and having a good time. Most of the time, I was pretty laid back. I can't even tell you how many hours of video games some of my classmates have logged. Med school isn't really as bad as TV/movies make it seem. Sure, it can be crazy here and there, but most of it is pretty chill. Yes, you will have a life. Maybe not third year, but you will have a life. If medicine is your passion, go for it!

I sure appreciate the answers so far. Don't forget the "ha ha" symbol I put near the paragraph about loving the Krebs cycle! I hated biochemistry! I'm terrible at memorizing things unless there is some sort of system (anatomy is okay because the latin names are descriptive and everything is connected to something else). I would never touch biochem except I need it for my interest in neuropharmacology. I've been really discouraged about how little progress has been made in treating major mental illnesses.

I'm an older guy (29) who's been knocked around a bit and I guess I just feel that there is plenty of misery to go around in life, and it's just plain stupid to be miserable if you love medicine and are lucky enough to be able to study it.

It really helps to hear from people who feel that they will have a lot of good memories (social and intellectual) of their years at med school, despite the inevitable rough spots.

Thanks again! If you're from a Texas school please tell me what you think, too.

Dave

Medical school is really only as bad as you want to make it. Sure there are some people that sleep 4 hours a night and study 10 hours a day. Sure they make 98% on every test, but there are others who study FAR less and still make A's. My biggest suprise is that it wasn't as bad as it's always made out to be. I try to tell people that and they seem to think I'm just trying to say I'm naturally smart or something.

I'm glad you find the material intellectually stimulating, but remember there are going to be times when medical science is going to be the last thing you want to think about, but have to because you have an upcoming exam. One of our Deans is fond of saying that medicine is really about blood, guts, pus, poop, and piss. His point is that it is real world and you are dealing with real life or death situations. It's not just this hyper-intellectual academic exercise where you sit around and discuss the exquisiteness of renal physiology. If that is what you are looking for I would look elsewhere, because the practice of medicine is far more hands on and gritty.

Anyway, on a more positive note, I'd say go for it. I'm just an M1 (so a bit naive) but I have not had any regrets yet.

sdude said:
Thanks again! If you're from a Texas school please tell me what you think, too.

Dave
maybe it was just test week at Baylor? I'm across the street at UT Houston and they don't normally look that bad. but its also getting to be the end of the year, we're all burnt out, I think it is hard not to get that way.

::Seabass:: said:
maybe it was just test week at Baylor? I'm across the street at UT Houston and they don't normally look that bad. but its also getting to be the end of the year, we're all burnt out, I think it is hard not to get that way.

The block exams are this week at Baylor I believe.

I dont know what "Students scurried around like frightened bunnies" means, I think EVERYONE is walking faster in the med center just because they have stuff to do.

I personally plan on masturbating to the BRS Physiology, is that the kind of "love" for medicine you were talking about? Oh, what, you weren't? Ignore I said that then.

(joking of course, we all know that First Aid for Histology is where its at) ;)

sdude said:
Hello,
So basically I'm looking for a med school where a significant number of students get really excited in histology and gross anatomy lab, and then get the formalin out of their systems by playing ultimate frisbee barefoot on a nice, grassy quad, and still can't wait for the evening study session because the Krebs cycle is SO COOL. :laugh:

Sound's like the Yale System might be just what the doctor ordered.... :D

If you think kreb's cycle is SO FUN, and you're idea of a good time is partying, hanging out with friends on a friday night until 3 am, getting in at 3am to brush your teeth and reviewing your neuroanatomy at 3:15 am because its just SO FUN, then any competitive med/grad school would be great. In fact, I recommend JHU, where most students hit the strip joints and then afterwards work on their cadavers- a double dose of anatomy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice. Man, I'd love to go to JHU--not the sort of thing you can exactly count on, though.

Maybe I should edit my first post!

I WAS JOKING WHEN I SAID THE KREBS CYCLE WAS FUN! I HATE BIOCHEMISTRY!

(but I'll endure it for the sake of neuropharmacology, which IS cool...)

For the sake of perspective, here's a response from someone 10 months into 3rd year...Maybe I'll feel differently in a year or two, but if I had known when I applied how I would feel during third year, I wouldn't have come to medical school. If I could come up with a way to deal with my insane loans, I would have seriously considered dropping out. Yes, it is a career of helping people and it requires some critical thinking and continued learning, it still pays well, but if I'd known how painful third year (and I don't want to think about internship) would be, I'd have gone to grad school and never looked back. I have enough friends who took the PhD route to know that for the most part, there is a more collegial relationship between faculty and students and a lot more creative critical analysis involved in grad school than in medicine. I suspect that my personality is particularly ill-suited to the third year experience and that I've had rather bad luck as far as the teams I've been assigned to, but third-year feels more like hazing than education. I also think that I would have tolerated this hazing better if I had come straight to med school and never grown used to being competent and independent at any job. There are some people who are really enthusiastic about and good at teaching but I've run into far more who are just trying to survive their own residency and some who seem to derive much satisfaction from taking out their frustration on the lowest person on the totem pole.

I'd say stick to the Midwest or West Coast. Once you finish Biochem in 1st year, you'll hardly ever run into it again. Krebs who? Isn't that an STD?

-Todd MS-IV USC

Med school is 4 years, residency another 3+ years, and then there's always fellowships (1-3 years most likely). You'll be practicing medicine for at least 20 years. Do you think you'll be happy seeing patients? I think that's the important question. You shouldn't want to go to medical school because you love studying biochem (though it does help) - you should want to go 'cause you want to practice medicine.

basically..i think if you really love medicine..and see it as a calling...then anywhere would be fine..
a medical school provides you with the education, it's up to you to use it and become a good doctor
but of course, some schools are 'pressure cookers'..so, you'll just have to cope with it..or find somewhere else which is less tense

sdude said:
Thanks for the advice. Man, I'd love to go to JHU--not the sort of thing you can exactly count on, though.

Maybe I should edit my first post!

I WAS JOKING WHEN I SAID THE KREBS CYCLE WAS FUN! I HATE BIOCHEMISTRY!

(but I'll endure it for the sake of neuropharmacology, which IS cool...)

Oh, ok. Maybe I should change my post too... cuz, I'm actually trying to make a joke about the strip joints and anatomy lab. :D

peptidoglycan said:

is this site no longer active or does anyone know a new address?

thanks for any info guys. :D

Peachy720 said:
is this site no longer active or does anyone know a new address?

thanks for any info guys. :D

I think if you go to the SDN home page there is a link to "interview experiences" or something like that

Doc Ivy said:
I think if you go to the SDN home page there is a link to "interview experiences" or something like that

Thanks so much, Doc! :D

it's a broken link, but at least i'm not going crazy trying to find it anymore! thanks again!

When I interviewed at Baylor last year, I totally didn't get that impression. Everyone seemed so happy and friendly. I also really liked southwestern. If you are interested in osteopathic TCOM students were the happiest I've ever seen....
I go to Hopkins and ppl here work hard and play hard. :) And I luv all my classes and just learning in general. :love:

azzarah said:
When I interviewed at Baylor last year, I totally didn't get that impression. Everyone seemed so happy and friendly. I also really liked southwestern. If you are interested in osteopathic TCOM students were the happiest I've ever seen....
I go to Hopkins and ppl here work hard and play hard. :) And I luv all my classes and just learning in general. :love:

Thanks a lot! I've already decided that when I finish my grad program I'll apply to Baylor and TCOM, since the curriculum, quality of life, and students look appealing at both. I just wish Baylor had more grass! Baylor would be a long shot in any event, but since I want to do FP I know I'd be happy at either school. (Plus I live in Houston!)

I know Southwestern is good, but I really don't like trying to squeeze gross anatomy, histology, etc. into one semester. It looks more like a cram-fest than an actual learning experience. I've decided that the organ-system approach would work best for me.

You should check-out Texas Tech...I know I know...Lubbock isn't the most exciting place on the planet but the atmosphere at the medical school is very relaxed, cooperative and NOT competitive at all. Students share everything as far as study resources and "secrets" go.

As an added bonus you could do your 3rd and 4th years in El Paso...now that's the place to learn medicine. Students from there get to see and do a lot more than most places in the country. It's a once in a lifetime experience from what I hear.

By the way, I'm not getting a commission from tech...although i probably should!

Kleine-Levin said:
You should check-out Texas Tech...I know I know...Lubbock isn't the most exciting place on the planet but the atmosphere at the medical school is very relaxed, cooperative and NOT competitive at all. Students share everything as far as study resources and "secrets" go.

As an added bonus you could do your 3rd and 4th years in El Paso...now that's the place to learn medicine. Students from there get to see and do a lot more than most places in the country. It's a once in a lifetime experience from what I hear.

By the way, I'm not getting a commission from tech...although i probably should!

Thanks! I'm originally from a (no longer :() small town in South Texas, and I'm sure I would like Lubbock. For some reason I hadn't looked closely at Tech, but I definitely will check it out.

If you are serious about goign to medical school, and you are a texas resident, then you should apply to ALL of the schools in texas. You should also interviw at any that offer you a position. It is difficult to tell which school will be right for you.

Yes, in general, there are 'feels' to a school (SW and baylor drawing similar student bodies with similar attitudes), but you never really know where you will fall in love.

I almost didn't go to my interview at UTHSCSA. (I took the august mcat so interviewed at all 5 schools very rapidly.) San antonio was my last interview and I was tired. But I ended up goign and absolutely loved it. I also went ot each interviwe 'blind', not considering anything anyone told me and goign on my gut.

I have a film degree. I had worked in that industry for several years. I had not planned on goign to medical school. I hated genetics and biochem. (still do) and didn't take them as a post bacc. I *loved* san antonio. Its a clinical school adn for the most part (classes vary from year to year) has a very social element to it. Dr. Jones looks for diverse students and heavily encourages people to have a life outside of school. I also wanted to go to a school that didn't have the philosophy that I should be on my knees thanking anyone that I was there at thier school. I believe its a mutual relationship, and this is felt by the majority at san antonio.

So apply to them all, go with an open mind and in the end, follow your gut.

sdude said:
I just wish Baylor had more grass!

Unless you mean the grass we specialize in here in Austin, I'm looking forward to relaxing in Hermann Park :) only .5 mi up the road.