Med Schools With "Christian Values" in their Mission Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PistolPete

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering which med schools, other than Loma Linda, are religiously affiliated, or seem to place some sort of emphasis on "christian" values? I tried doing a search here, but didn't find anything useful... I'm curious to see how many other schools have "strict" requirements like Loma Linda (nothing against Loma Linda, just curious...)

Ahh... what a nice dose of procrastination....

-PP

Members don't see this ad.

Any Jesuit schools would have "Christian Values". The two that I know of are Creighton and Saint Louis University, but I know there are a few more.

I believe Loma Linda and Loyola are "Christian" schools as well, but I'm not considering either of them so I'm not 100% certain on this.....

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe Loma Linda and Loyola are "Christian" schools as well, but I'm not considering either of them so I'm not 100% certain on this.....

Loyola is Jesuit.
But it doesn't seem to interfere with anything -- just no abortions and no embryonic stem cell research IIRC.

Georgetown is jesuit I believe and Baylor is baptist (or at least christian).

NYMC seems to have something I can't quite put my finger on.

I believe that LLU is the only medical school that mentions their christian nature in their mission statement. The others are intrinsically christian, but I'm not so sure you would notice it if you were on their campuses.

You're thinking of Baylor University in Waco. The medical school (BCM) has nothing to do w/ that school and is not religiously affiliated.

Loyola is Jesuit.
But it doesn't seem to interfere with anything -- just no abortions and no embryonic stem cell research IIRC.

Just that and their crazy anti-gay policies!!!! YIKES :mad:

[From another poster]:

"All forms of sexual expression and conduct between heterosexuals outside of marriage, or between homosexuals, are contrary to the ideals of the University and will result in disciplinary action."

http://www.llu.edu/llu/handbook/6q.htm

"And regarding homosexuals, the President of Loma Linda University, Lyn Behrens, was recently quoted in a Riverside, California newspaper saying that 'if someone makes (another) lifestyle choice, we would invite them to pursue their careers elsewhere.'"

They don't accept homosexuals? How fair and equal; equality sounds like their number one ideal! Yeah, what a great school. :thumbdown:

Well, I know you're talking about "Christian" schools, but AECOM is affliated with a Jewish university. I think the only way it really affects life there is that the cafeteria is kosher, the library is closed Friday night and Saturday, and major Jewish holidays are off.

You are talking about Baylor University, which is Baptist.

Baylor College of Medicine is not affiliated (used to be, not anymore), and it doesn't have any religioius preference.

I would know, I go to BU. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
They don't accept homosexuals? How fair and equal; equality sounds like their number one ideal! Yeah, what a great school. :thumbdown:
It's a private school. They can do whatever they please. Many consider AA to be unfair and unequal, but private schools can do it because they're private.

You are talking about Baylor University, which is Baptist.

Baylor College of Medicine is not affiliated (used to be, not anymore), and it doesn't have any religioius preference.

I would know, I go to BU. :luck:
Heh, yeah, I didn't know they were unaffiliated until I was there for my interview (when did it split?). It's been interesting to say that I really want to go to Baylor, and then people always give me a cock-eyed look and question why I'd want to live in Waco at a Baptist university. Oh how I wish people were more informed about med schools....

I think SLU is Jesuit

It's a private school. They can do whatever they please. Many consider AA to be unfair and unequal, but private schools can do it because they're private.

sure, they can do whatever they want. but that doesn't mean they're not a bunch of nazi, cult-leading crazies who scare me. :scared: :scared:

sure, they can do whatever they want. but that doesn't mean they're not a bunch of nazi, cult-leading crazies who scare me. :scared: :scared:

no they aren't

religious conviction is a personal choice much like sexual preference and as long as they don't hurt anyone with it it is acceptable and their right.

Most of us are tolerant of gays and probaby won't change our minds just because of what school we go to, so don't worry.

I believe Flopotomist on here attends Loyola and I believe he also happens to be gay......perhaps you should ask him.....

Just that and their crazy anti-gay policies!!!! YIKES :mad:

[From another poster]:

"All forms of sexual expression and conduct between heterosexuals outside of marriage, or between homosexuals, are contrary to the ideals of the University and will result in disciplinary action."

http://www.[B]llu[/B].edu/llu/handbook/6q.htm

"And regarding homosexuals, the President of Loma Linda University, Lyn Behrens, was recently quoted in a Riverside, California newspaper saying that 'if someone makes (another) lifestyle choice, we would invite them to pursue their careers elsewhere.'"

These quotes are about Loma Linda University, not Loyola.

no they aren't

religious conviction is a personal choice much like sexual preference and as long as they don't hurt anyone with it it is acceptable and their right.

Most of us are tolerant of gays and probaby won't change our minds just because of what school we go to, so don't worry.

Would you say that about a school who's religious conviction caused them to ban black students from attending? or ban students that they considered overweight? I love how when people are openly homophobic we are all told to be "tolerant of other's values" but when people are openly racist or sexist, etc. then we can all agree that their ideas don't fit into the boundaries of our civilized society.

Plus, banning gay students from attending a university and promising disciplinary action if students are found to be gay IS hurting someone.

The four Jesuit med schools are: St. Louis U, Loyola U (Chicago), Georgetown, Creighton. Jesuit schools are typically on the very liberal end of the Catholic scale (my undergrad was at probably one of the most liberal Jesuit schools where there were 2 gay-straight student clubs and the school hosted a national conference on issues of LGBQT issues affecting students and faculty, for instance.) They are typically very open to everyone and are a comfortable environment for Catholics and non-Catholics alike (my undergrad was only about half Catholic). I loved my experience at a Jesuit school. Jesuits are very big on social justice and are typically less interested in oppressive/conservative moral codes of conduct. So, if you're an evangelical, fundamentalist Christian, Jesuit values won't correspond to your own. If you're more moderate or liberal in you views of "Christian values", then you would be well-advised to look at a Jesuit med school.

The four Jesuit med schools are: St. Louis U, Loyola U (Chicago), Georgetown, Creighton. Jesuit schools are typically on the very liberal end of the Catholic scale (my undergrad was at probably one of the most liberal Jesuit schools where there were 2 gay-straight student clubs and the school hosted a national conference on issues of LGBQT issues affecting students and faculty, for instance.) They are typically very open to everyone and are a comfortable environment for Catholics and non-Catholics alike (my undergrad was only about half Catholic). I loved my experience at a Jesuit school. Jesuits are very big on social justice and are typically less interested in oppressive/conservative moral codes of conduct. So, if you're an evangelical, fundamentalist Christian, Jesuit values won't correspond to your own. If you're more moderate or liberal in you views of "Christian values", then you would be well-advised to look at a Jesuit med school.

Yeah, based on my interview experience at Georgetown, I totally agree. They seemed very liberal and open, and committed to social justice and just helping others in general. It seemed like a great environment.

Would you say that about a school who's religious conviction caused them to ban black students from attending? or ban students that they considered overweight? I love how when people are openly homophobic we are all told to be "tolerant of other's values" but when people are openly racist or sexist, etc. then we can all agree that their ideas don't fit into the boundaries of our civilized society.

Plus, banning gay students from attending a university and promising disciplinary action if students are found to be gay IS hurting someone.

Very much agree to everything you've said Lulu. Plus, if a school gets any public funding whatsoever (including federal grant money, etcetera) aren't they required to not help propagate discrimination by not banning people of a given race, creed, sexual orientation, etcetera from attending their school? Perhaps given our government, sexual orientation isn't covered under the banner of intolerable discrimination, but it should be. What happens when a student trained at these universities treats their first openly LGBT patient? Will there be a cloud of inappropriate moral qualms polluting that student's clinical decisions?

Actually, being up front about not wanting gay students saves would-be applicants a lot of trouble, you should write them a thank you note...seriously, go do it right now. They could have just taken your secondary money and had a good ol' rightous laugh at your "i hand out extra thick condoms to the bottoms at gay clubs" volunteer work.

Its a private university, they can do what they want. You can hate them and call them nazis...it makes you an intolerant idiot.
They can hate you and call you a sinner...it makes them intolerant idiots as well.
All in all you have a lot in common.

I think being gay is different from other federally protected statuses.

Actually, being up front about not wanting gay students saves would-be applicants a lot of trouble, you should write them a thank you note...seriously, go do it right now. They could have just taken your secondary money and had a good ol' rightous laugh at your "i hand out extra thick condoms to the bottoms at gay clubs" volunteer work.

Its a private university, they can do what they want. You can hate them and call them nazis...it makes you an intolerant idiot.
They can hate you and call you a sinner...it makes them intolerant idiots as well.

Being intolerant of someone else's intolerant ideas is very different than being intolerant of someone because of their biology, genes, race, spouse, etc.

I think being gay is different from other federally protected statuses.

Martin Luther King Jr. once said:

"The answer lies in the fact that there fire two types of laws: just and unjust. I would be the Brat to advocate obeying just laws. One has not only a legal but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws. I would agree with St. Augustine that 'an unjust law is no law at all'."

:thumbup: Well-said.

There's really no difference between not tolerating gays and getting pissy because some private school has chosen to exercise its freedom in this country to accept and reject whomever they please. You may not agree with it--which you're also allowed to do by the same freedoms that protect LLU from barring gays from admission--but it's their right to do so. It's a decision they've made just like the lifestyle choices a homosexual makes. So don't be so quick to judge them because in doing so you're judging yourself.

It's a decision they've made just like the lifestyle choices a homosexual makes. So don't be so quick to judge them because in doing so you're judging yourself.

I believe you just made one of those judgements in this very post. :laugh:

I believe you just made one of those judgements in this very post. :laugh:
Where?
thinking.gif

Haha...in calling being homosexual a lifestyle choice. I think most gay people state it was an orientation from birth, and not a conscious decision. But I might have misread your post, and in either case, I mean no harm... :^) I think we're drifting off topic anyway, so....

........Meanwhile back at the ranch, I am sure Pete appreciates the relevant information regarding religiously affiliated schools and couldn't care less about the debate concerning gay rights. Good luck in finding the school that you are looking for Pete. :rolleyes:

Most people will agree that race and sex are something you cannot change. However, there is still debate over whether or not homosexuality is a choice or something from birth.

The whole homosexuality issue with Loma Linda (in my opinion) falls under the religious category. The federal government forbids discrimination based on race, sex, or creed.

Is Loma Linda University acting illegally by discriminating based on religion? Absolutely not. I know some of you have said that they are private and can discriminate against whoever they please. I don't think that's exactly true. The can discriminate based on religion because they are considered, by the federal government, to be a religious institution. Other private universities cannot do this if they are not considered to be a religious institution.

Their classification as a religious institution also exempts them from some employment laws (forget which one). In the late 1980s an employee became pregnant out of wedlock and was terminated. She sued the university but the courts sided with Loma Linda University because of its status and because all employees are held to a specifid standard that is clear outlined in the employee handbooks.

If you don't agree with their views, just don't apply there.

Pete,
From what I've heard, Loma Linda is the only one with "strict" requirements. I think there are a number of schools "affiliated" with Christian denominations but LLU is the only one run by a church (which is why they can legally require things like chapel attendance).

Hi all,

I was wondering which med schools, other than Loma Linda, are religiously affiliated, or seem to place some sort of emphasis on "christian" values? I tried doing a search here, but didn't find anything useful... I'm curious to see how many other schools have "strict" requirements like Loma Linda (nothing against Loma Linda, just curious...)

Ahh... what a nice dose of procrastination....

-PP

It's a private school. They can do whatever they please.
No, actually, they can't. Sexual orientation is a protected class. Schools can not discriminate on this any more than they can on age, religion or color of skin.

The fact that the school is private does not allow them to discriminate. The same is true of private companies. This has been upheld at the level of the Supreme Court.

If you all read the link closely, you'll see Loma Linda does not ban homosexuals, it bans homosexual sex. It also bans premarital sex amongst heterosexuals. They do have the right to make rules about behavior. Even if other folks (myself included) find the policy morally reprehensible.

It also bans premarital sex amongst heterosexuals.

Ah, all the more reason to not go there.....crackpot Adventists...... :rolleyes:

:sleep: Here we go again... How many times has this thread been done? I think we just need to sticky a thread exclusively for liberals freaking out about Christian schools.

I'm not a liberal. I just think what happens in the privacy of your home is between you and the person you're doing it with. As I said, this type of thing is exactly why I am not applying there.

I think we just need to sticky a thread exclusively for liberals freaking out about Christian schools.
Why would you insult Christian schools? Folks here are not happy about the behavior rules at LLU. This does not apply to any of the other Christian medical schools.

Ah, all the more reason to not go there.....crackpot Adventists...... :rolleyes:
I'm married. So if I sleep around with fellow students, it's not really considered premarital sex, right?

That's a joke, in case my wife happens to stumble across SDN.

Being intolerant of someone else's intolerant ideas is very different than being intolerant of someone because of their biology, genes, race, spouse, etc.

In many islamic groups they do not tolerate homosexuality and especially any kind of sexuality of women, what do you think about this? Are they nazis also?

Intolerance is clearly acceptable in many situations, though I think you are correct in thinking that they are intolerant and wrong for not wanting gays, but the word nazi? That's a little harsh.

Technically I'm not getting any more (*Chef voice*) "sweet lovin'" until I get married anyhow (by agreement with my girlfriend) so it doesn't really matter, but I don't like some religious zealot nutcase demanding it as a condition of my education.

"Please report to the auditorium for your white coat and chastity belt ceremony!"

I'm married. So if I sleep around with fellow students, it's not really considered premarital sex, right?

That's a joke, in case my wife happens to stumble across SDN.

Perhaps they have an adultery clause.

Perhaps they have an adultery clause.
They probably do....I believe it's listed right next to the "Failing to tithe what little extra money you have while a student at LLU" clause. :smuggrin:

Wow, this thread has truly taken a different turn. I've been in Adventist schools since I was in Kindergarten, so I believe I can clear up some issues.

1) What occurs in your own house, is your business. There will not by spys listening at your doors, trying to figure out if you are having homosexual or premarital sex. Now if somehow, your business gets blasted out on the news, then they will probably take some action. Girls get pregnant at my adventist college often, and they don't get kicked out. They have their babies, and come back when they are ready.

2) Adventists came from the same climate and area as the Puritans, so you can't really expect them to be liberal. Now I haven't research the churches official stance, but from what has been hammered into my head from school is basically this: "Homosexuality is a sin, just like alcoholism, fornication, lying, etc. Just as people are born with an INCLINCATION for a certain sin, people are born with in INCLINCATION to be homosexual. It is their choice as to whether they want to follow their inclincations." For example, if my mother was a drinker, then I will probably have a problem with that if I decide to start. So that is the UNOFFICIAL stance I've come away with while being in school.

3. There are 125 accredited M.D.-granting medical schools in the US. If one is telling you that they don't agree with your "actively practicing" lifestyle, then apply to the other 124 accredited M.D.-granting medical schools.

Adventists came from the same climate and area as the Puritans, so you can't really expect them to be liberal.

Ah, yes....the Puritans....people so uptight the English kicked them out..... :smuggrin:

:sleep: Here we go again... How many times has this thread been done? I think we just need to sticky a thread exclusively for liberals freaking out about Christian schools.

Seriously, mention anything religious and they come out of the woodworks.

Liberal Motto: "We're open-minded to the fact that we're right and you're wrong"

In many islamic groups they do not tolerate homosexuality and especially any kind of sexuality of women, what do you think about this? Are they nazis also?

Intolerance is clearly acceptable in many situations, though I think you are correct in thinking that they are intolerant and wrong for not wanting gays, but the word nazi? That's a little harsh.

Just because intolerance is acceptable among certain cultures does not, in and of itself, make such intolerance morally defensible (Although, the problem, of course, is deciding who exactly holds the right notion in regards to equality and the social acceptability of certain groups. I think it's easier for many people to say that women should have equal rights than to say that LGBT people should have equal rights since the female battle was won decades ago and since science is clear about the biological existance of womanhood as opposed to being gay, a reality of which scientists and lay people still squabble about in regards to origin). Still, the annihilation of jews, gays, and many people who were not in line with the deplorable Nazi ideal is certainly different than present day discrimination against gays in the United States. I'll agree with you there, but you won't find me accepting the subjugation of women or unequal rights for homosexuals any day regardless of other's religious or cultural beliefs to the contrary.