Med Schools with least amount of lecture hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What schools tend to have the fewest weekly lecture hours? I learn faster when i am not in class so i would like to minimize my in class time. Also, do most medical schools have note services? Because if so I would probably prefere to do that than go to class.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Cerberus
I learn faster when i am not in class so i would like to minimize my in class time.
So a better question to ask I'd say is "which schools have mandatory lectures?" At the majority of med schools no one is holding a gun to your head forcing you to go to lecture. If anything I felt some residual guilt before I started picking and choosing when to show up to lecture, but at most schools no one will really care. You can generally skip as much lecture as you damn well please if you can get the info from reading the notes on your own. I dont think there was a Habari sighting in the ed center for the last 8 weeks of the semester :laugh:

labs, small groups, and pbls if your school has them, can be a different story. pbl is the only truly "mandatory" component at my school but that encompasses at maximum 4.5 hours (often times less) out of your week, and its worthwhile.

Also, do most medical schools have note services? Because if so I would probably prefere to do that than go to class.
Many do, I dont really understand them though. The lecture notes we have prepared for us are concise and I dont see the point in paying for verbatim transcripts of the lecturer speaking, seems redundant. Maybe a note service would be useful to me if the lecturer says a lot of things in lecture that aren't in the note packets that we were accountable for, but that hasn't been in the case in my experience at least. Maybe someone who uses a note service can explain their utility :confused:

Ohio State has an independant study track....study on your own ...take the tests...

Members don't see this ad :)
Of all the schools I've seen, Case Western seems to have the least amount of lecture time. I believe they said that there is never any class in the afternoons (maybe even no lab some afternoons). Northwestern also seemed pretty good.

we have 2 hours of lecture a day(every now and then just 1 hour). we only have 6 exams the whole year. we are strictly pass/fail for first year.

life is good.

hehe, you guys remind me of me last year....shamelessly whoring myself on SDN.....hope it works out for ya :D

What schools tend to have the fewest weekly lecture hours? I learn faster when i am not in class so i would like to minimize my in class time. Also, do most medical schools have note services? Because if so I would probably prefere to do that than go to class.

What about PBL. PBL IS usually required and you are graded on participation, or what you bring to the table, so if you are interested in learning on your own, you should look for curruicula that are ALL lecture. I don't know tof any school that requires lecture attendance