[Med Student] Away Rotations - MSK vs. Inpatient focus & Class Sizes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMattOglesby

Grand Master
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
MS3 here--in the midst of setting up my PM&R away rotations for 4th year. It's hard to find the information I'm looking for, so I figured I'd throw it out to this group and hope someone chimes in.

Specifically I'd like to know of certain programs that put a larger focus on:
1) outpatient (MSK, emg, pain inj., etc...)
and
2) those programs which lean more towards inpatient (tbi, sci, post-op hip fractures, etc...).

I'd also like input regarding class size if anyone has that information as well (pertinent because I hope to 'couples match' in the same program--SO also interested in PM&R).

Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I did two away electives with very different focuses. The first was an acting internship at Kessler where I was inpatient the entire time. Fantastic didactics and you work with one resident and one attending in a small team for the whole month. It was intense but a great experience. I believe the UMDNJ class size is 8-10 per year.

The other away I did was at Mayo. It was 2 weeks of various outpatient clinics, 1 week of inpatient brain (TBI/stroke) and 1 week of inpatient spine. Another great experience with formal outpatient focused didactics (at least while I was there), anatomy review, journal clubs and a lot of informal, bedside teaching. I think their class size is 8 a year.

Looking back, both were great experiences and, though very different, they gave me a lot of perspective on the commonalities in PM&R and the aspects to ultimately look for in a residency program.

Sounds like you had a good mix of rotations. I can see how doing both can give you a good idea of what to look for when you decide in which program you'd fit best.

What I'm ultimately looking for is to know which residency programs have a stronger focus on inpatient, outpatient, or a mix of both.

Members don't see this ad :)
All programs by the book are going to have a strong inpatient portion as well as outpatient time to meet ACGME requirements (see the following)

Residents must be able to provide patient care that is
compassionate, appropriate, and effective for the treatment of
health problems and the promotion of health. Residents:​
IV.A.5.a).(1) must have a sufficient variety, depth, and number of
clinical experiences. However, clinical activities must not
compromise the educational requirements of the training
program;

IV.A.5.a).(2) must have at least 12 months’ direct and complete
responsibility for inpatient management on the physical
medicine and rehabilitation service;

IV.A.5.a).(3) must spend at least 12 months of their training in the care
of outpatients. This outpatient experience must include
significant experience in the care of patients with
musculoskeletal disorders, and it excludes time spent in
EMG training;

...​
IV.A.5.a).(6).(e) performance of electrodiagnostic studies. In general,
involvement in approximately 200 electrodiagnostic
consultations per resident, under appropriate
supervision, represents an adequate number;​

Sounds like you had a good mix of rotations. I can see how doing both can give you a good idea of what to look for when you decide in which program you'd fit best.

What I'm ultimately looking for is to know which residency programs have a stronger focus on inpatient, outpatient, or a mix of both.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The more important thing is exposure to all, and strong biomechanics. Some traditionally strong inpatient programs churn out exceptional MSK docs.