Med Student book choices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joshua_msu

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in gas and will be doing my first real rotation in it very soon. I want to do some prereading before I start so I can get a good grasp and maybe impress a preceptor or two. I was looking at book choices, and I found two that I thought may be good.

There is a new Lange Clinical Anesthesiology book, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...104-5484018-2195140?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

and there is also the "baby" Miller book, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...104-5484018-2195140?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

I dont mind paying 60-70 dollars for a quality book, since I have time and do intend to read quite a bit, and am defintely considering the field. Which is the better of the two? The Lange is from 2005, Miller from 2000. Any other possible choices?

Thanks.

Josh

Members don't see this ad.

baby miller seems to be the standard for rotations. Check the FAQ, I think theres a thread in it about the books to buy

Members don't see this ad :)
Baby Miller, for sure. Its concise and easy to read. It wont teach you every intricacy, but it is a pretty easy read in 4 weeks.

They always seem to lend you Baby Miller, so email to ask if they lend students copies before you drop your $70 to buy it. I got lent the book at 2 of 3 anesthesia rotations (1 home, 1 away), and scanned it, but found it pretty dry to read. Never read much of it -- read the airway chapter, and managed to get through a couple of the pharm chapters, and that's it.

Lange book -- good by almost everyone asked, but I think it's too dense for a first-ever month in anesthesia. I don't know if you want a 500 page textbook like that if you're only going to do it for a month. I'm not going to spend money on this until I find out whether my residency program's gonna give me one.

There's the Anesthesia Secrets book (from the Secrets series), which poses questions and then answers them. Can be read with short attention span (that's a plus) but still is not dumbed down, and is densely packed with info. Was a favorite among residents at one of my aways.

Clinical Anesthesia Procedures of the Mass. General Hospital
- in outline form. Was a favorite among residents at my other away. Personal favorite as a student. Managed to get through a great deal of it. Can't of course learn and retain everything (that's residency) but I got a decent amount out of it. Was highly sufficient during one of my aways, was sometimes useless during the other away due to big differences in teaching style and emphasis.

Or you could do what I did -- simply go to the bookstore and find the cheapest book you can. In my case, it was the tiny blue NMS Anesthesia pocket outline during my home rotation. I wouldn't say it was a good book, but for my first month in anesthesia it was sufficient! The best anyone will do in a month of anesthesia elective is learn a little of the basics, and you don't need a big book or an expensive, complete book to do that.

What a good concise book to get up to speed on physiology that one needs to know as a med student for an anesthesia elective?

chicamedica said:
What a good concise book to get up to speed on physiology that one needs to know as a med student for an anesthesia elective?

The Lange anesthesiology book has all the necessary physiology stuff.

Anyone know when the new baby Miller book is due out? Hate to get a 6 year old textbook when a new one is just around the corner.

What is the actual name of this Baby Miller book? The only thing I can find on amazon is the 2 volume set of books by Miller that costs over $200.

Jalopycat said:
What is the actual name of this Baby Miller book? The only thing I can find on amazon is the 2 volume set of books by Miller that costs over $200.

Basics of Anesthesia by Stoelting and Miller.

Anybody know about lange 4th edition book? Any big differences from 3rd edition? The 4th edition just came out a couple months ago, 3rd punblished in 2001.

Its not all that different from what I can tell with my spectacular perfunctory glance. If you can get ahold of the old one for cheap then you should be fine. I did buy the new one because I'm a friggen anesthesiology resident and that book is the snizzle.

Xclamp said:
Anybody know about lange 4th edition book? Any big differences from 3rd edition? The 4th edition just came out a couple months ago, 3rd punblished in 2001.
Stick with Miller, lange is alittle large for one month reading

adleyinga said:
Stick with Miller, lange is alittle large for one month reading

No dude..I am not a med-student, just wanted to know if the new edition has any new stuff that the other doesn't have. thanks.

xc

As I understand it the new edition of the Lange book will have updates vs. the previous edition and probably the removal of some of the clinical practice blurbs, ie the one that talks about treating laryngospasm with the "Spock" special touch behind the ear. I get this from our Chair, Dr. Murray, who is one of the editors. Will let you know more once he gives us a copy.

Cheers,
PMMD