Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry for posting in this forum, but I figured I would get the most accurate answer.
We had a brief intro to pharmacology some time ago w/ included some info on pharmacy law. (In TX by the way) As it turns out, questions from those lectures appeared on one of our exams and I still can't figure out what the right answers were. Professor's slides didn't have it and neither did katzung's pharm book. There were 2 specifically:
You instruct your nurse practitioner to fill out a prescription of 10mg Adderall, a CII substance, #60, QD to BID prn. He/she returns so you can sign the prescription, but you do not notice she mistakingly wrote the prescription for #30. Your pt. is given the prescription for a wrong amount, and returns home, w/ is a 5 hour drive to another city. The next day, your pt. calls about the error, and you mail him a new prescription w/ the proper amount.
1.)What can be done to prevent this pt. from filling both prescriptions using 2 different pharmacies and w/o insurance, assuming you are unable to contact the pt. to give proper instruction?
Assume you prescribe a 90 day supply of the same medication mentioned above, w/ no errors. Each is properly written w/ the typical "earliest fill date" to provide 1 30 day supply, 1 month at a time. For whatever reason, the pt. prolongs filling the 3rd supply, w/ has an earliest fill date of 12 Aug 11.
2.) how long does this pt. have before the 3rd prescription expires?
3.) Assume the pt. attempted to fill the prescription on the earliest fill date, as instructed, but the pharmacy rejected b/c "the medication was expired." How should you approach the situation?
They were multiple choice but I only remember what I put.
1.) nothing (I don't see how you could stop something like that)
2.) 7 days (I remembered that from somewhere)
3.) call the pharmacy to explain recent changes in law... (whatever the law is)
We had a brief intro to pharmacology some time ago w/ included some info on pharmacy law. (In TX by the way) As it turns out, questions from those lectures appeared on one of our exams and I still can't figure out what the right answers were. Professor's slides didn't have it and neither did katzung's pharm book. There were 2 specifically:
You instruct your nurse practitioner to fill out a prescription of 10mg Adderall, a CII substance, #60, QD to BID prn. He/she returns so you can sign the prescription, but you do not notice she mistakingly wrote the prescription for #30. Your pt. is given the prescription for a wrong amount, and returns home, w/ is a 5 hour drive to another city. The next day, your pt. calls about the error, and you mail him a new prescription w/ the proper amount.
1.)What can be done to prevent this pt. from filling both prescriptions using 2 different pharmacies and w/o insurance, assuming you are unable to contact the pt. to give proper instruction?
Assume you prescribe a 90 day supply of the same medication mentioned above, w/ no errors. Each is properly written w/ the typical "earliest fill date" to provide 1 30 day supply, 1 month at a time. For whatever reason, the pt. prolongs filling the 3rd supply, w/ has an earliest fill date of 12 Aug 11.
2.) how long does this pt. have before the 3rd prescription expires?
3.) Assume the pt. attempted to fill the prescription on the earliest fill date, as instructed, but the pharmacy rejected b/c "the medication was expired." How should you approach the situation?
They were multiple choice but I only remember what I put.
1.) nothing (I don't see how you could stop something like that)
2.) 7 days (I remembered that from somewhere)
3.) call the pharmacy to explain recent changes in law... (whatever the law is)