heretics

7+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2010
Status
So I just overheard a conversation with an attending and his fellows discussing the applicants for fellowship. Apparently the attending went all KGB and hunted down EVERY PERSON in our hospital who had overlapped with the applicants, whether in residency or medical school, and asked them about their personalities! So one guy who had a great resume and interview didn't get a fellowship because his MED SCHOOL CLASSMATE said he was arrogant! Guys, butter up your medical school classmates. You never know when it's going to be key!
= a resident

njbmd

Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 30, 2001
Gone Walkabout!
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Don't believe everything you hear. Just keep getting the job done on your rotations and let the chips fall where they may. No attending physician has time to "investigate" the personality of a medical student (or resident) for that matter.

Deferoxamine

Non-smoking
7+ Year Member
May 7, 2009
USA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So I just overheard a conversation with an attending and his fellows discussing the applicants for fellowship. Apparently the attending went all KGB and hunted down EVERY PERSON in our hospital who had overlapped with the applicants, whether in residency or medical school, and asked them about their personalities! So one guy who had a great resume and interview didn't get a fellowship because his MED SCHOOL CLASSMATE said he was arrogant! Guys, butter up your medical school classmates. You never know when it's going to be key!
= a resident

MSmentor018

Hooah!
10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2007
it's always hot!
Status
Attending Physician
= a resident
sounds a little extreme.....I have had attenings/residents ask me if I know who's coming next or have I heard of x from my school but that's about the extent of it. on the other hand last couple of months I personally have heard students bad mouth or start rumors about others students to attendings/residents regarding the match process. it's good form to be friendly with a good work ethic but I'll leave the buttering on my toast. just go to work, do your job, do it well, then leave.