Media Picking up on Pharmacist Oversupply

Started by UConn101
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

They speak a lot of managed care -- is this the future?
No, not hardly. The author just came across some students who were doing residencies for Express Scripts and ran with it.

Working in undesirable areas is the current future. After that dries up, who knows? :scared:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Johnston says some employers are awaiting the outcome of health care reform. He sees new jobs forming in managed care and information technology settings.

It seems more than a coincidence....
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It was just a fluke...less than 3% of pharmacy grads nationwide pursue work in health insurance or managed care.

Thanks for the link! Do you see the demand for managed care pharmacists trending up in the future as the article suggests?
 
Says it all right here:
In 2006, there was one pharmacy school in the state, located at the University of Tennessee at Memphis. Now there are six, including the new schools at Lipscomb, Belmont and Union University in Jackson, all graduating their first classes this spring. Lipscomb is graduating 71 pharmacists, while Belmont has 68 graduates and Union 41.

TN went from ONE pharmacy school to SIX?! In what world...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
"According student responses at the Student Doctor Network, a national healthcare education network, the school loan debt ranges from about $80,000 for a four-year public university program to $150,000 or more at private schools."

Was it done on this forum lol
 
What the hell is a "managed care residency"?

Is that where pharmacists learn how to make a formulary for HMOs?
 
What the hell is a "managed care residency"?

Is that where pharmacists learn how to make a formulary for HMOs?

not always. My buddy who did a "managed care" residency for Kaiser said there was a lot of ambulatory care, MTM, and prior auth etc. He said most of the days were spent on the phone talking to patients and doctors.
 
No, not hardly. The author just came across some students who were doing residencies for Express Scripts and ran with it.

Agreed. Also, the stats at the end seemed sort of random without any lead in or followup. And its in the nashville ledger😴 I guess its a start though. I should start writing weekly harassing emails to the times until they print a story 😀
 
“Pharmacy attracts people who want to serve,” Johnston says. “They understand that service is more important than self.”

lolwutRainbowSponge.jpg
 
Thanks for the link! Do you see the demand for managed care pharmacists trending up in the future as the article suggests?

With market consolidation, there are going to be fewer new positions created, and a whole bunch of talented folks from Franklin Lakes are going to be looking for work soon. That being said, PBMs aren't going anywhere...short term, it's going to be tight, but long-term there will be some slow growth.
 
With market consolidation, there are going to be fewer new positions created, and a whole bunch of talented folks from Franklin Lakes are going to be looking for work soon. That being said, PBMs aren't going anywhere...short term, it's going to be tight, but long-term there will be some slow growth.

Won't the Franklin Lakes (Medco) employees have an opportunity to move to Express Scripts in St Louis?
 
Won't the Franklin Lakes (Medco) employees have an opportunity to move to Express Scripts in St Louis?

I don't know the details of the merger, but I can speculate...I've seen it play out before in a related field (pharmaceutical manufacturers).

Some high-value or specialized Medco employees will be kept on, but most won't- Medco and ESI offered nearly identical services; taking advantage of economies of scale, only one is needed now.

Even if some employees are given the opportunity to move to StL, how many will uproot their family for the job? The skills to work in a PBM would be useful at lots of health plans in the region; I'm guessing the Human Resources inbox at BCBSNJ is about to burst.
 
I have friends a few years older than myself who graduated 2 or 3 years ago and never found a job in their field. Times is rough for every body +pity+
 
What fields were they in?

Business / Finance. Both are pretty smart, just don't have great connections. As fate has it I have another friend (more of an acquaintance) who's dumb as a post and got a job b/c of family connections.
 
You'll be lucky to get a job - and keep it. Employers know there is oversupply and are burning through pharmacists who are anything less than perfect. A little competition is a good thing until it starts being exploited.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is more of a reflection of how stupid you students really are. 6 figure student loan debt with no guarantee of a job after graduation? Really? You probably would be better off getting a credit card in your name and dropping it on the ground for someone to pick up.
 
This is more of a reflection of how stupid you students really are. 6 figure student loan debt with no guarantee of a job after graduation? Really? You probably would be better off getting a credit card in your name and dropping it on the ground for someone to pick up.

Weren't you a student just about one year ago? Pot, meet kettle.
 
Um no, not a pot meet kettle at all. I don't have any student loan debt and I'm employed, even getting offers for other pharmacies.

So, you are employed and still getting job offers, but there is an over-saturation of pharmacists and jobs are scarce? 😕
 
I have experience as a pharmacist and those jobs that I'm being offered aren't being offered to new grads.

Surely you can see the irony here.

How about I thank scholarships and savings instead?

Why? I'm sure scholarships and savings helped you, as they have helped me, but I don't swallow the idea that you came out of school with no debt last year all on you own, unless your state heavily subsidized your schooling (which may be the case -- and then you really didn't do it all on your own, either).
 
Surely you can see the irony here.



Why? I'm sure scholarships and savings helped you, as they have helped me, but I don't swallow the idea that you came out of school with no debt last year all on you own, unless your state heavily subsidized your schooling (which may be the case -- and then you really didn't do it all on your own, either).

Irony? What are you talking about? Unless experienced clinical positions are now being offered to new grads (making residencies truly a scam) then you're out in left field on this one. And what difference does it make if the state subsidized the schooling? I'm still debt free which is what a lot of new grads cannot say and probably won't be able to say for a long time. Not my fault I had a financial game plan going in and came out on top.
 
From the article:

The Pharmacy Manpower Project’s Aggregate Demand Index shows Tennessee ranked No.2 in demand nationwide, tied with California. Texas has the highest demand.

No possible way. CA is 2nd in demand nationwide??? CA has never had high demand, not when I graduated many moons ago, not even during the pharmacist shortage of the mid 2000's. I do not believe that CA is #2 in the nation for pharmacist demand. No possible way.
 
From the article:



No possible way. CA is 2nd in demand nationwide??? CA has never had high demand, not when I graduated many moons ago, not even during the pharmacist shortage of the mid 2000's. I do not believe that CA is #2 in the nation for pharmacist demand. No possible way.

It could.
However that demand is all in the inland empire.
And by absolute number it may be the 2nd highest number of opportunities by state in the USA.
 
Depends on what you consider demand. California is the 3rd largest state. They probably do have the 2nd highest amount of jobs available/open. The supply, however, is still bigger.
 
Yen, Texas #1!

Oh, forgot to mention that most of the shortages are at border towns and wild west. Hope you like been shot at or bored to death. :naughty:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Irony? What are you talking about? Unless experienced clinical positions are now being offered to new grads (making residencies truly a scam) then you're out in left field on this one. And what difference does it make if the state subsidized the schooling? I'm still debt free which is what a lot of new grads cannot say and probably won't be able to say for a long time. Not my fault I had a financial game plan going in and came out on top.

I find it ironic you consider one year to be considerable experience.

And most people do have a financial game plan. I know I did -- and I probably had more savings than you, too. My closest and cheapest option just happens to charge more than yours did. I think you're just a little too proud of yourself for your own good. That's all.
 
I find it ironic you consider one year to be considerable experience.

And most people do have a financial game plan. I know I did -- and I probably had more savings than you, too. My closest and cheapest option just happens to charge more than yours did. I think you're just a little too proud of yourself for your own good. That's all.

Since when did being debt free become something you should not be proud of? Outrageous.
 
Yen, Texas #1!

Oh, forgot to mention that most of the shortages are at border towns and wild west. Hope you like been shot at or bored to death. :naughty:

Rofl, I have often thought myself that if I was going to risk my life on the border, I might as well be a real drug dealer