Medical and Dental Specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Transformers

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Considering the financial aspects of medicine, when one is considering specialties in medicine and dentistry, getting into a private practice environment is important so physicians can settle for a certain number of hours and work while balancing family life accordingly. I was wondering when you compare the non-surgical specialties medicine (other than optho, plastic, ENT) and the specialties in dentistry (i.e.- orthodontics, oral and maxillofacial surgery, periodontics, endodontics), which specialties are the most lucrative? I hope I do not get flamed for this because I understand that its more important to do what interests you, but I was just curious about some reliable statistical info. 😛

thx
 
Impossible to say, it varies based on region and demographic, along with the skill of the practicioner, both in medical terms, and in selling himself.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
From talking to my dentistry friends, it seems that the dental specialties are more lucrative than the medical specialties, with a better lifestyle. The only medical specialties that seem to be on par with pay/lifestyle of the dental specialties are derm, rads, and optho. I think dentistry overall pays better and affords a better lifestyle, as even generalists bring in serious cash.
 
Let's not forget that dentistry is only 4 years and no residency required. Sure, derm, rads, optho are good. But you're talking about an additional 4-5 years of servitude.

Dentistry is the way to go, dude. Dentistry now is like how medicine was back in the 80's -- pay for fee service. Today, medicine sucks.
 
From talking to my dentistry friends, it seems that the dental specialties are more lucrative than the medical specialties, with a better lifestyle. The only medical specialties that seem to be on par with pay/lifestyle of the dental specialties are derm, rads, and optho. I think dentistry overall pays better and affords a better lifestyle, as even generalists bring in serious cash.

Your dentistry friends say dentistry pays more? There's a shocker! 🙄
 
Considering the financial aspects of medicine, when one is considering specialties in medicine and dentistry, getting into a private practice environment is important so physicians can settle for a certain number of hours and work while balancing family life accordingly. I was wondering when you compare the non-surgical specialties medicine (other than optho, plastic, ENT) and the specialties in dentistry (i.e.- orthodontics, oral and maxillofacial surgery, periodontics, endodontics), which specialties are the most lucrative? I hope I do not get flamed for this because I understand that its more important to do what interests you, but I was just curious about some reliable statistical info. 😛

thx

Specialties changes in cycles.

Remember that dentistry used to be not very lucrative back in the early and 80's and schools were closing. Optometrists were bigger money makers than dentistry, now it's the reverse. Anesthesia was so low on the totem poll that foreign doctors could match into it back in the early 1990's (we had family friends who matched into as FMG). Pathologists used to make alot of money---kind of like the derm of its days. But now, not so much.

The only thing you can bank on is the profession you pick will change in the next 20 or 30 years. Don't pick anything solely on money. Look at other criteria such as lifestyle and personal interest.
 
For dental specialities, there are dental residencies available, however are they like medical residencies....in which you work 80+ hours a week? What is the training like in comparison to medical residencies?