Medical Assistant (MA) for 6 months between graduating college and applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

RTC19

My non-medical job now doesn't offer health insurance benefits (long story) so I am on my mom's insurance. I am in that awkward spot where I make a little too much to be eligible for Medicaid but can't afford to pay for a Marketplace plan with my other obligations.

I will have to go off my parents' health insurance about 6 months before application time due to age (January of my application year). I can't be a CNA because I can't lift more than about 10 lbs regularly and the phlebotomy-only (no CNA or MA) market in my area is saturated. I think I'd really like being an MA and most of those jobs are full-time and benefit-eligible. I would get my MA certificate at a local CC over the next two summers, graduate college in December, work as an MA for 6 months, apply in June and then continue to work as an MA to keep myself fed and insured throughout my app cycle.

So, my question is this: Will the admissions committee see this as taking someone else's seat who may have worked as an MA for much longer than 18 months and therefore frown upon it?

I'd like to note that this wouldn't be my only clinical experience, albeit will be my only paid clinical experience. I will have been a hospice volunteer for 7 years and a child life volunteer for 3 years, and an MA for six months at the point of application. I will try to also put that MA certificate to good use and volunteer at the free clinic in town that always needs more certified people, so there should be six months of that too.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know lots of people who have worked as MAs before applying to medical school! I don’t think an admissions committee would frown upon it at all.

Reactions: 1 users
I know lots of people who have worked as MAs before applying to medical school! I don’t think an admissions committee would frown upon it at all.

Thanks for your reply! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No it won't be frowned upon. It'll help your app if anything.

Reactions: 2 users
Also, I am unsure and just want to make sure that we are all on the same page here. I want to confirm that the question you are answering is, "Is it okay to get the MA certificate only to work as one for 6 months" and not "Is it okay to be an MA before med school?".

Also, I am unsure and just want to make sure that we are all on the same page here. I want to confirm that the question you are answering is, "Is it okay to get the MA certificate only to work as one for 6 months" and not "Is it okay to be an MA before med school?".

Yes you're still fine in that regard.

Reactions: 3 users
I can't lift more than about 10 lbs regularly

The length of your time as an MA isn't an issue. Will you never be able to lift 10 lbs? If not, what if you are asked to move an unconscious person in medical school or residency? 10 lbs is not very much...

The length of your time as an MA isn't an issue. Will you never be able to lift 10 lbs? If not, what if you are asked to move an unconscious person in medical school or residency? 10 lbs is not very much...

It's the repetition that's the problem. I can put a 50 lb bag of salt into my water softener once, but my arm will complain if I then go out and put 50 lb bags of salt into all of my neighbors' water softeners, if that makes sense. Being a CNA is a lot of repetitive heavy lifting, which was the problem.

Reactions: 1 users