Medical Condition?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iluveb22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a medical condition caused me to do poorly during part of undergrad, should I mention it? Or will they be afraid it will happen again during med school? I did well in a post-bacc.

Basically what happened was that I was having small seizures. I have no problems since being on medication (over 3 years). I just don't know if I will freak them out by disclosing exactly what it was...

Members don't see this ad.

first: Pretty sure you have to disclose such chronic diseases. With that said, there was a thread similar to this 6-9 months ago where a few adcom people showed up and commented concretely. There is apparently a discrete set of diseases that you are *usually* required to disclose and everything else is up to you. I'd assume seizure disorders would definitely be on them.

2) No. It won't impair your ability to apply at all. If it is well controlled with pharmaceuticals it cant be used against you at all. The medical community is well known to laugh in the face of the Americans with Disabilities Act, but the one thing they dont do is discriminate if your condition is controlled on meds. If you can perform normally thanks to drugs, you might as well be a "normal" person to them.

c. It probably helps if you have a medical reason to explain poor performances. Better than "I was a slacker my sophomore year"

Thank you for the reply! I was plannning on saying "neurological condition" in my personal statement..Yes I am very well controlled so I hope you are correct about them not being too concerned. Thanks