medical elective in China

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kei ti

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI i'm an Australian med student and would love to travel to china for medical elective in 2007, but i haven't found any useful contacts. i've tried emailing universities, but no replies. :( Can anyone help me to know who to contact and how to contact them? Also I can't read and can only speak a little mandarin, will this be a problem?
thanks so much :)

Members don't see this ad.

by the way which major do you want to study?

HI i'm an Australian med student and would love to travel to china for medical elective in 2007, but i haven't found any useful contacts. i've tried emailing universities, but no replies. :( Can anyone help me to know who to contact and how to contact them? Also I can't read and can only speak a little mandarin, will this be a problem?
thanks so much :)

do you have any preference on which part of China and what major you want to have? I think language could be a problem, but some of the uni-hospitals may try.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen some students in my univ...:idea:
They couldn't speak Korean at all..But everyone was being very helpful..;) :cool:

thanks for the help - but my uni just changed elective to start Jan ( was Oct) which means there's no time to organise it (ie I have a week to organise before flights are all booked up !). So looks like i won't even leave the country :oops:( But thanks anyway

you can still get an elective organized quickly. i had helped medical students get their electives in Sarawak General hospital, in Malaysia.

if you do wish to try Sarawak then send an email to
dr wong js at [email protected]

Last edited:
thanks for the help - but my uni just changed elective to start Jan ( was Oct) which means there's no time to organise it (ie I have a week to organise before flights are all booked up !). So looks like i won't even leave the country :oops:( But thanks anyway

regret for that...
hey i'm a medical student studying in Shanghai,Fudan Univ. and i wonder if i can help in case you would one day come to China~~ and may be i can provide some help in Chinese learning:) and i also wanna practise my English:p so i wish you could contact me :[email protected]:love: :love:

regret for that...
hey i'm a medical student studying in Shanghai,Fudan Univ. and i wonder if i can help in case you would one day come to China~~ and may be i can provide some help in Chinese learning:) and i also wanna practise my English:p so i wish you could contact me :[email protected]:love: :love:
复旦的学生?你英语比我好,哈哈。

Wow, that is good English, Tegku!

Are there many students studying abroad at Fudan?

wow,so many Chinese students here!

Hi I'm studying in Australia and need to organise a 6 wk elective for at the end of this year. I would like to try Fudan University in Shanghai but dunno who to contact..can someone help? Thanks!! ^^

i can help you guys in china,i studied in china and i know many contacts and teachers too,if you are planning to go to china you can contact me i could guide you.

hey is it possible to have some observational experiences in a chinese hospital? I'm from sydney and i can speak mandarin.

I've contacted an international program that organises volunteering projects in Shanghai hospitals but there's no hands-on and it's a set program. I'd like a bit more freedom when i travel to china

If anyone knows anything like that, please reply! i'd appreciate it heaps. I'd like to know about it even if it's just in the universities med program.

hi, it's my first time here...but i find it's very interesting to have a forum to share our ideas and thoughts...
i'm from Malaysia, and i'm looking forward to do my elective in china too~
but i don't really know the procedure and which university to apply to...
hope u all can guide me :p
feel free to contact me at [email protected]
thanks

Hello all,

I am a singaporean 3rd year medical student and am very keen on coming to China for my 2008 elective. Also, I stumbled upon an article on student BMJ but it gave only vague details and contact addresses were all for handwritten smail mails. Can anybody shed some light on the application process?

Shanghai and Beijing are my 2 top choices for the elective, but due to the 2008 Olympics, Beijing may be too popular. So perhaps, Shanghai will be a better choice.

Thanks for reading this. And likewise, if anybody is interested in coming to Singapore for an elective, you guys can contact me at [email protected]. I'll be glad to be of any help.

:luck:

i spoke to an organiser of electives in shanghai... and a colleague of his from china has indeed confirmed that the chinese government will not allow hands-on experience

it will only be an observational placement for electives in shanghai... of course, things might be different for the rest of china

The tuition fee at Peking University is exorbitant! I emailed them and was informed that weekly tuition fee of 150 USD a week is applicable. That's 600 USD a month excluding expenses and accomodation. *groans*

www.pumch.ac.cn is the address I got from Google for Peking Union Medical College Hospital, but the server seems to be perpetually down.
Wikipedia then directed me to http://www.cams.ac.cn/allnew/index.htm but the website does not seem to provide an email address for me to submit enquiries!

I am at my wits' end. Can somebody help?:( :( :(