Medical Electives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peni

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there!
I just finished my 2nd year of medical school at the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland-Medical University of Bahrain and I seem to be confused about where to do my electives next summer. I really want to have hands-on experience. I was wondering if anyone could guide me and tell me what places would accept me and allow me to do my electives as a third year medical student (going to fourth)?
PLEASE HELP!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks rox for the thread, it's been useful. The problem is I have done a lot of searching on the web and most of them accept only final year students. I was wondering what particular hospitals would accept a 3rd year (going to 4th year out of a 5 year medical program) medical student to do their elective? Many have advised to directly contact the consultants as applying doesn't do a lot of good for 3rd yr med students? Any advice?
Also, can anyone let me know what hospitals in Canada can let you do medical electives as a third year med student going to fourth???
PLZZZ HELP!

Members don't see this ad :)
Very few allow non final year students. Almost all require that either you be a final year student or have a formal relationship between your school and the North American program for you to come and do rotations (ie, this is what teh Caribbean schools do).

SUNY Downstate, NY does. I am not aware of other schools.

If you want it so bad, I suggest you do an extensive search and try to contact some schools directly. You might find that they accept 3rd year students but it's not posted on their homepage. Also, you may convince them to take you. Some schools aren't so strict about their requirements. Good luck :)