Medical Ethics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

travel30

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone involved with Ethics committee at their job or during fellowship?

Has anyone done a masters in ethics or certificate? If so it that something they do additionally in their job? Would you recommend pursue form training in it?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

Involvement with an institution's ethics committee is a separate position than majority of the members main gigs -- whether that be palliative, IM, cardiology, psychologist, or lawyer (there are folks from many backgrounds), the ethics position is typically something "extra" they choose to take on. That might be paid or voluntary. A masters or certificate isn't required, but can help, with landing a position on committee if more people apply than openings available. However, if it is an employed position, typically they will require some sort of relevant credential.

as an attending, they put me on the ethics committee without telling me at my current job

makes sense though, ethics tends to get consulted on cases I'm involved in

thankful there's hospital system-wide ethicists available to help, makes our lives easier

so overall not a big deal

Members don't see this ad :)
as an attending, they put me on the ethics committee without telling me at my current job

makes sense though, ethics tends to get consulted on cases I'm involved in

thankful there's hospital system-wide ethicists available to help, makes our lives easier

so overall not a big deal
Did you decline to be on it? That’s very disrespectful to put you on a committee without telling you

lol wasn't that big of a deal

ever since I joined, I think every ethics case was a palli consult as well

might as well have me on board so they can ask me what I'm seeing

lol wasn't that big of a deal

ever since I joined, I think every ethics case was a palli consult as well

might as well have me on board so they can ask me what I'm seeing
People pleasing physicians are part of the problem, when there are people who work for free this is how we get exploited as a group