Medical Experience and Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dhooy7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if people changed jobs or got a job that pays better once they applied to medical schools. The problem is I don't know if I would be accepted or not, but I want to save up a decent amount of money once I apply to medical school during the 1 year you wait once you apply. Has anyone done anything like this? My CNA job at the nursing home can be stressful at times especially since I work mornings a lot.

Also are there any medical jobs where you don't have to work weekends? I also referee soccer and really enjoy it. I was considering working at the hospital but I also referee at 4:30 and 5:30. I am willing to give and take and only work part-time but would prefer not to give up refereeing as I really enjoy it.

Members don't see this ad.

Why do you need to work a medical job? Those are usually pointless and a waste of time imo.

Why not work a more satisfying, higher paying job? and volunteer on the side at the hospital if you need/want to while refereeing on weekends.

I don't know because I want to be a doctor and need experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know what's up lately with SDN

Medical jobs are in no way needed to get into medical school

In fact time is better spent volunteering/ doing research

Reactions: 1 user
Why is volunteering better? So if I get a full-time job after I apply to save up during the year I'm waiting this will not matter? I don't know what to do now though because I need a part-time job to study for the MCAT.

Medical schools want smart (GPA/MCAT), unselfish (volunteerism) students who are sure they can see themselves in the role of the physician (shadowing).

Nowhere in the equation is working entry-level healthcare jobs. You also look better volunteering your time to others, so feel free to choose any job that will better accommodate your other activities. Those sacrifices you are making as a CNA will have minimal returns at best, will discourage you from pursuing medicine at worst.