Medical License

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoyden

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Getting a medical lecense in the US is no different for an IMG than it is for a US grad.

Pass the USMLE I II III , do one to two years of residency and you can get a license.

IMGs need an ECFMG certificate and you can get one when you start the process of taking USMLE I.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for taking your time for answer.
Getting a license for IMG IS a different process. That's why I've asked.
I am doing residency now and I have already passed all steps, so that is not an issue. The issue is a validation process. that's why i've asked.

The question remains - anybody knows any helpful links for medical license application process.

Thanks.

I guess we (erichaj) and I do not understand the specific problem you are having. Outside of visa issues, what is a "validation process" that is causing you difficulty? Are you speaking of validating your medical degree?

As an IMG, I don't recall having anymore difficulty in getting licensed than the AMGs, so perhaps if you could clarify we could help some more.

In the interim, http://www.fsmb.org lists requirements for licensing in each US state and has links to the state's individual boards for further information.

I am an IMG. This is how I did it.

1. Went to medical school.
2. Passed step one after 2nd year of medical school. Got ECFMG certificate. but it was not a complete one. It has an expiration date on it. Once you finish step 3 and start residency you get one that does not expire. They send you a sticker to put on the original one.
3. Passed step two during clinical rotations in 4th year. Took CSA at the same time. I don't know if they still require a CSA. I think they combined it with step 2.

4. I apllied for residency. Got one. Took Step 3 after the end of the first year of residency.

5. Got a license to practice medicine.
6. Finished residency.
7. Took the Board exam.

This is the standard way of getting to practice in the USA. If you need a visa, like a J1 or H1 then you have to apply for that through the US govt. You need a good lawyer for that to help you facilitate the process. You can't start your residency until you have a visa.

I'm not sure what you mean by "validate". please explain.

If you mean validate you medical degree, then you have to have a letter from your medical school to say that you did finish school and pass etc. ECFMG usually will want it translated in english and notarized. Your school has to be recognized by the world health organization and in good standing with them.

Am an IMG applied for license in California and SC. California needs specific criteria i.e. specific hours per subject. They have specific form in their web site, I printed it and made my own hours according to what they need. The medical school signed it and mailed it back directly to CA board. For SC my medical school mailed a transcript directly to the board and as I remember other form I printed out from SC board web site. The board examines your transcript and if fulfilling their criteria beside many other requirements will issue the license if not I think the application will be denied.

Who is requesting the medical school to mail the transcripts - you personally or the board?

I have a question for you.

well a couple.

you are pgy2 and IMG, so most states require that imgs finish at least 2 years of residency before they apply.

1. Have you called your state medical board to find out what you need to do to get a license in your state?

2. Why are you listening to other people with really bad information that may be outdated? (this based on what you said on last post about some people who said something about validation).

You are already a resident in his/her 2nd year and you have an ecfmg certificate.

Buddy, all you have to do is call your state medical board and ask for the requirements and then apply. thats it.

finish your residency, get a job. get married, etc, etc. etc. :D :) :D

The problem tends to be the validation of medical degrees. The board sends a copy of your diploma and your transcripts to your medical school along with a photograph of you. The registrar or dean has to confirm that this you, that the diploma is genuine and that you actually graduated. This is a process somewhat specific to the US. Due to different verification systems in other countries, the medical school officials might or might not know what to do with these documents. It often requires some handholding to get them to sign on the correct line.

One way to go about it is to do this only once by going through the federation of state medical boards credential verfication service. It takes 6 months costs about $600 and is a pretty aggravating process in and by itself. But at least you don't have to deal with the time consuming steps of the process every time you get a new license.

And yes, california is a 'special' case. They require documentation of every hour you spent in medschool. If you have any 'deficiencies', you have to go for remedial training.

How lengthy the licensing process is also depends on the particular state. Some (CA, NJ, FL) are infamous for dragging their feet, particularly on FMG/IMG cases.

Who is requesting the medical school to mail the transcripts - you personally or the board?

SC board needs you to contact your medical school and let the medical school to send the transcript and this certified printed form directly to the board. for me it takes about 3 months to issue the license after they receive this informations from med school. Also, CA needs to to contact your med school i have no idea about other states. Certain states will not grant license to graduates from particular schools, even with ECFMG and finished residency, it depends.

Thanks, f_w and mmed.

Seems, like you have been through the pain, unlike the others, trying to give advices ;)

That's actually where the problems lies - verifications in your home country. Verification process for ECFMG took 15 months and a very diligent person back at home to pursue that. Seems like fcvs is the only way to avoid it multiple times.

As a venting - why the heck can't they take the verifications from ECFMG?! I am willing to pay that 600$ just to avoid the process back home...

Thanks again and have a good labor weekend everyone

Thanks, f_w and mmed.

Seems, like you have been through the pain, unlike the others, trying to give advices ;)

That's actually where the problems lies - verifications in your home country. Verification process for ECFMG took 15 months and a very diligent person back at home to pursue that. Seems like fcvs is the only way to avoid it multiple times.

As a venting - why the heck can't they take the verifications from ECFMG?! I am willing to pay that 600$ just to avoid the process back home...

Thanks again and have a good labor weekend everyone

Because ECFMG accepts graduates from certain medical schools and some states not. For example, about 10 states will not accept graduates form certain Caribbean medical schools despite they have valid ECFMG certificates.

my bro is IMG and his UNRESTRICTED licensing process is taking much longer because of this verification of medical degree. (he is a recent graduate of residency) although ECFMG did that too, FCVS requires their own verification... but, this would depend on the requirement of the state... some states do not require FCVS verification.. so, that means, you have to go through your state's requirements for licensing.

another thing.... most states have different requirements for UNRESTRICTED licensing of IMGS. most AMGs can get their unrestricted license before residency ends... while IMGs will need to complete the residency before they can start their licensing process.

another thing.... most states have different requirements for UNRESTRICTED licensing of IMGS. most AMGs can get their unrestricted license before residency ends... while IMGs will need to complete the residency before they can start their licensing process.

This is not necessarily the case. Many states require that IMGs have 3 years of graduate medical education before they can get an unrestricted license - but if your residency is longer than 3 years (say surgery), then you can still be a resident and have an unrestricted license.

hey guys,

i'm a neuro PGY2 in new york and I'm an IMG. i read that in order to apply for the step 3, new york requires that you completer licensure requirements, meaning 3 years of post-grad training in new york for img's. has anyone gone through the licensure process in NY? does this mean that we have to finish 3 residency years before we can even apply for step 3?

Register for step3 in connecticut. They don't require you to apply for a license at the same time and NY will accept the result for their licensure if you ever choose to do so.
If you need a license for your boards, get Nebraska or Indiana, they are way cheaper than NY.

The only reason to get a NY license is if you have opportunity to moonlight.

NY is known for taking your $1100 (license + step3 fee) and NOT give you a license based on some formality such as non-completion of the 3 years (and to refuse a refund on the licensing fee).