Medical Malpractice Case

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbc586

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Entire medical record, lawsuit, etc... is here: Case 10: Shortness of Breath – medmalreviewer

Med mal cases require a HIPAA waiver so the records are available to the public, this site publishes them.

TL;DR
33 year old woman seen in ED for respiratory distress. Tons of comorbidities. Given Dilaudid for pain. Results don't show any acute emergency (depending on who you ask). Discharged from the ED. Sitting in ED lobby waiting for a ride... other patients suddenly notice she is unresponsive, pulseless. Rushed back into ED, survives but is a vegetable. Family sues.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• EKG.JPG
    EKG.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 159
  • Settlement Redacted.png
    Settlement Redacted.png
    196.4 KB · Views: 159
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This is a good med-mal case (unforunately with a bad outcome for the patient). There's a lot to learn from it and I would recommend everyone read through it on the website which has all the released documentation and commentary.

Nope, I'm not getting paid by the site. But I did glean a lot of important information to be aware of.

Reactions: 1 user
Says right in the initial document that she’s allergic to the Med they gave her. The listed response to the drug would certainly give me pause.

Reactions: 1 users
In his HPI the doc used the wrong to/too/two. He said "She wasn't told not to drink to much water." Atrocious!

That's grounds for a million dollar lawsuit and license being revoked IMO.

In all seriousness she was just fluid overloaded and should have just been given more lasix right?