Medical Program or Regular University??

jennyh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I had already decided that I would attend UT Austin majoring in science, but I just got accepted into the UT Pan American EMSAP program. That means four years of undergrad at UTPA with a pretty much guaranteed acceptance into UTMB medical school.

The thing is, it's always been my dream to go to Baylor College of Medicine. I figured I could work my ass off at UT Austin and get there on my own, but realistically I should consider this program; BCM is a pretty tough and competitive school.

Any comments or help please...

Members don't see this ad.

http://www.utpa.edu/dept/biology/uthscsa.html

You only need a 3.25 GPA and a 24 MCAT to get into an MD degree. No ECs and other bull**** are involved. 3.25 GPA and 24 MCAT should be easy for you. In fact, you have to have a 3.5 GPA and a 30 MCAT to be competitive for an MD school with other ECs and bull**** for a regular premed.

3.25 GPA and a 24 MCAT is a sweet @ss program for premeds. You will get an MD. Not a DO.

Go for it.

I envy that you got accepted in this program. You're pretty much set as long as you do well on your classes and on your MCAT.

I'm pretty sure if you work your ass off you could go to Baylor as well. Just go for your current program and forget about regular university.

Members don't see this ad :)
In fact, you have to have a 3.5 GPA and a 30 MCAT to be competitive for an MD school with other ECs and bull**** for a regular premed.
Average matriculant stats are something like 3.65/31.2, so a 3.5/30 would be on the low end of "competitive." Baylor happens to be one of the more selective schools, so you'd probably at least need something in the 3.7/33 range to be a strong candidate. You didn't mention cost, but all things being equal, I'd choose the combined program.

Average matriculant stats are something like 3.65/31.2, so a 3.5/30 would be on the low end of "competitive." Baylor happens to be one of the more selective schools, so you'd probably at least need something in the 3.7/33 range to be a strong candidate. You didn't mention cost, but all things being equal, I'd choose the combined program.

True. :thumbup:

3.25 GPA and 24 MCAT for an MD school is a sweet deal. In fact, a person might not be able to get into a D.O. school with a 3.25/24.

I don't have all the information, so I can only speculate. Think carefully before you do this - are you locked in to this program once you are accepted? Meaning - if you decide not to be a physician (a distinct possibility, I was dead set on a totally different direction going into college) will you have opportunities to excel outside of the program?

I'm not familiar with the program you refer to, but UT Austin is an amazing school where you could do just about anything, including medicine. If you have the same opportunities at this other program ("UT Pan American"), then I would strongly consider taking that option. Otherwise, think carefully before you act - you don't want to commit yourself to something that you aren't 100% sure that you'll be doing.

Good luck!

I don't have all the information, so I can only speculate. Think carefully before you do this - are you locked in to this program once you are accepted? Meaning - if you decide not to be a physician (a distinct possibility, I was dead set on a totally different direction going into college) will you have opportunities to excel outside of the program?

I'm not familiar with the program you refer to, but UT Austin is an amazing school where you could do just about anything, including medicine. If you have the same opportunities at this other program ("UT Pan American"), then I would strongly consider taking that option. Otherwise, think carefully before you act - you don't want to commit yourself to something that you aren't 100% sure that you'll be doing.

Good luck!

^Agreed.

I think it is a sweet deal in terms of you not having to worry about how well rounded you app is. All you need is a GPA and an MCAT really.

Check to see if this program is going to lock you in. If it does, make sure you AND your parents think carefully about going through with this. If you are in a program where you are locked in, you will be screwed if you change your mind.

In my opinion, I would turn it down. I would have more options (but no guarantee into medical school). Plus, I'd have a way out if for whatever reason I did not want to pursue and M.D.

If you do this, you better be damn certain you want to become a physician.

So I had already decided that I would attend UT Austin majoring in science, but I just got accepted into the UT Pan American EMSAP program. That means four years of undergrad at UTPA with a pretty much guaranteed acceptance into UTMB medical school.

tennisball80 said:
3.25 GPA and 24 MCAT for an MD school is a sweet deal. In fact, a person might not be able to get into a D.O. school with a 3.25/24.
I would take that in a heartbeat. :D

Anyhow, if you like Baylor that much (I don't blame you), there's nothing stopping you from pursuing residency there.

Also, there's a slight possibility that you might be able to transfer into Baylor once you finished a year of the medical training.

If you know you truly want to be a physician than do it if not truly think about what you are going to do. Beyond undergrad and med school there is at least 3 or 4 years of residency and a few more of fellowships if you want to specialize. It is a long road, so be sure first.

Thanks everyone for your input. I really appreciate it.

In the end I turned down the program, and decided that I will be attending UT this fall. I'm going to work hard, and even if I don't end up getting into BCM I'll know know that I at least gave it a shot.:)

Hey Jenny,
I'm currently a junior in high school, also in Texas, and was hoping you could give me some info on this UTPA/UTMB program, because it seems really nice with the med school pretty much guarantee? How hard it was to get in, like what kind of GPA, etc do you have? And I don't really know much about the school, is it good? (realizing "good" is an extremely broad term lol) Thanks!

But I'm happy you decided what you want to do and I wish you luck.

Hey Jenny,
I'm currently a junior in high school, also in Texas, and was hoping you could give me some info on this UTPA/UTMB program, because it seems really nice with the med school pretty much guarantee? How hard it was to get in, like what kind of GPA, etc do you have? And I don't really know much about the school, is it good? (realizing "good" is an extremely broad term lol) Thanks!

But I'm happy you decided what you want to do and I wish you luck.

Well in Texas they make it really easy to get into med school with programs like these. I had also applied for another program like this called Facilitated Admissions for South Texas Scholars, the "FASTS" program. As for good, I know the UTMB one is one of the better ones in Texas, but one thing I learned from my experiences was that it doesn't matter where you go because so long as you get into a med school you'll become a doctor. I know the application calls for a few essays on why you want to become a doctor, that good stuff. Um..I think I also attached a resume for it.

This is a website for the EMSAP:
http://www.utmb.edu/somstudentaffairs/specialprograms/acceptanceprogram.html

Here's for the FASTS:
http://som.uthscsa.edu/Admissions/earlyMatriculationProgram.asp

STATS:
103.18 gpa
1770 SAT
16/564 Rank
1000+ volunteer hours
Pediatric Internship
Medical Internship at Baylor College of Medicine/Rice University

Extracurriculars:
-band
-HOSA
-NHS
-SNHS
-Interact

If you need any more info here's my e-mail I'll be happy to help : [email protected]

Just make sure you like the social and acadmeic environment at the school that has that program. Or else being there just for the program isnt the greatest idea.

The thing is, it's always been my dream to go to Baylor College of Medicine. I figured I could work my ass off at UT Austin and get there on my own, but realistically I should consider this program; BCM is a pretty tough and competitive school.

Any comments or help please...

Is the medical program you speak of one of those six year deals? If so, I would be careful, because that's a whole lot of pressure and stress, so just make sure you are mature enough to handle a situation of that level of intensity :thumbup:

I think if Med School is what you really want, and this program is legit and GUARANTEED, you should definately go to it. Either way, whether you go to medical school X or Y, your going to have the same degree, and probably be prepared very similarly.