Medical Residency Prescriptive Authority

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Colton13

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a registered pharmacist working for a small mail order pharmacy. My boss asked if I would mind researching from state to state the rules regarding residents prescribing legend drugs. I've been at it for many hours and can't find much information on states medical examiner boards or pharmacy boards. Anyone know of a good website to obtain this information.

Members don't see this ad.

I googled legend drugs, which apparently means all prescription drugs (not specifically controlled substances)

With regards the law: all medical residents have a state license and an NPI number which gives them prescribing ability, however these are limited or restricted licenses (wording varies depending on state) that are specific to trainees and usually has a requirement to be working under the supervision of a fully licensed physician in the setting of an academic program.

If the student wishes to treat patients outside of this supervisory set up (i.e moonlight), they need to obtain a full unrestricted license. Each state has different requirements for this.

This is my understanding, i dont know of any specific websites for prescriptive authority, but there are several for requirwments for obtaining a full license:
FSMB | State-Specific Requirements For Initial Medical Licensure

Thanks, any thoughts are welcome....I assumed residents where familiar with the term legend drug. I apologize for the confusion. A legend drug simply means a non controlled substance that requires a prescription to be dispensed to the general public.

Residents prescribe under an institutional DEA. In order to do moonlighting outside of their own program, they have to obtain their own license and DEA (typically) to continue to prescribe.

I wouldn’t assume any physician will know what a legend drug is. I’m 20 years in and that was new to me. Not terminology we use. I was thinking it had to be an autocorrect error.

it all comes down to dea and unrestricted license. If they have those, they can prescribe. There may be internal policies at their program that tell them not to but that’s their problem.

Reactions: 1 user