Medical School Admissions Consulting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silverchola

3rd times the charm
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went searching for this topic, but I was unable to find it. So here is my question and I apologize if this is a repeat. Kaplan offers a Medical College Addmissions Consulting that includes helping you create and critique your personal essay to making the most of your school choice. I was wondering is this even worth it? Here's the link:
http://www.kaptest.com/Kaplan/4/Pre...ting/Admissions-Consulting-Packages?ProductId=

Members don't see this ad.

:oops: Sorry....

Anyone have any advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any advice?

I'm sure there are some individuals doing work for Kaplan that are fine consultants and can give good advice. I'm also sure that these are a minority. Unless you get to see the consultant's personal resume, and you're allowed to interview the consultant for free, I would be skeptical about their advice. If Kaplan dictates the consultant's advice, then that's WAY too cookie cutter. I wouldn't pay Kaplan to review my app unless I had no other choice.

Better choices, in my opinion, include:
- anybody who is on an adcom or who has been on an adcom in the last 5 years
- a premed advisor with a good reputation - meaning, recently-admitted med school students appreciate his/her advice
- a med student, particularly an older med student, who knows the recipe but can see beyond it
- a chem or bio undergrad department advisor who has seen bazillions of premeds and can thus compare you to your (local) competition
- any good writer who reads the newspaper every day and loves to argue.
- a highly educated preacher or public speaker. (I got a former Catholic priest with a PhD in political science to read my PS and tell me where I'm not making the sale.)
- Iserson's Guide and the MSAR, read cover-to-cover.

Your family members, unless they are in one or more of the above categories, are probably not good consultants. Strangers on SDN, like me, are probably not good consultants.

People on SDN recommend individual consultants as well, but I have no opinion on that.

Best of luck to you.

I am not sure I want to listen to anything Kaplan has to say :)

I've used a Kaplan consultant and she has been very useful in helping me choose schools and incredibly useful in perfecting my personal statement. I had some things in there that I didn't know would be worrisome to a Adcom. Also she has helped me with secondary essays and will help me with interview prep. You do get a free 15 min consultation call before signing up.

well guys i just signed up for themedschoolcoach.com package thingy. so far so good. i talked to them on the phone first and the guy was pretty awesome. seemed really knowledgable about the whole process and they got my first edit back asap. i'll keep updated on how it goes from here...

I paid for a consultant and don't think it was worth it.

I agree, don't do anything w/o knowing the people first. I would def call the service before anything.

<>

Last edited:
I agree, don't do anything w/o knowing the people first.

Agree. If the company isn't composed of former adcoms or at least someone who has actually gotten into a US allo med school I would personally probably steer clear. Not all advice is good or informed advice. Enough of us have dealt with "med school advisors" with questionable wisdom or credentials to have learned this lesson. You can actually probably pick up enough pearls to get you through the process on boards like SDN.

I've always maintained you can get the advice on SDN for free that an admissions counselor would give you and many times you'll be asking people that have more experience. Ex. The mentor forum can provide some great advice from people who have been verified to have knowledge in their fields.

Plenty of people here will read and critique your personal statement and share their admissions experiences with you... and its all free.

Members don't see this ad :)
I tried the medchoolcoach website and it says "forbidden"...anyone know if this company is still active?

Anybody work w/ Judy Colwell?

I almost did - but she was totally booked up and didn't have room for new clients. Really nice person and I have heard great things. I worked with Judy Levine who was a former dean at NYMC and LOVED her. PM me if you need more info but her website is premedadvising.com

Good luck!

I almost did - but she was totally booked up and didn't have room for new clients. Really nice person and I have heard great things. I worked with Judy Levine who was a former dean at NYMC and LOVED her. PM me if you need more info but her website is premedadvising.com

Good luck!

I'm in idiot and didn't realise that this thread is from last year :p

Very professional and thorough.

I would recommend her highly. Feel free to pm me.:love:

Hi,

I am considering getting medical school admission consulting service, but I am confused where I should get it from. I've read from earlier posts that medschoolcoach is good, but I can't find their website. Which should I pick, Kaplan, EssayEdge or medschoolcoach??

Or do you have any other suggestions? I am reapplying and I want my personal statement to stand out. Thanks!

Thanks! I'm fairly new on SDN, so I didn't know about the PS Readers Thread. Thanks so much!

BTW - what does 'pm' mean?

At the risk of repeating myself, I will consult for free.