Medical School Admisson Statistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Parker

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some sources/websites/books that have complete lists of medical schools and average GPA/MCAT's/Student life and so on?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Dr. Parker:
•What are some sources/websites/books that have complete lists of medical schools and average GPA/MCAT's/Student life and so on?

Thanks!•••••There are several resources you can use to find what you are looking for.
You can try using the US News website, but now you have to pay for it, it's something like 10 bucks a year. It'll give you all the statistics, including research/primary care rankings, gpas, mcats, number of applicants, etc. etc...

If you want to know more that the numbers, there are several books that are available, i've looked through a couple and i thought that princeton review's book was pretty useful.

After this stage, i'd check out the websites of each individual school you are interested in. Most schools will have an overview of their admissions process, and may discuss their curriculum as well.

The interview stage will be when you really get a flavor of a school, there's something to be said for looking at something with your own eyes, rather than words and numbers.

Also, any specific questions about a school you can ask on here, since there are thousands of SDN members who have seen or are attending the schools you may be interested in.

Parker,

The Medical School Admission Requirements book is awesome!!!! It's published by AAMC, very credible, everyone recommends it, up to date info about everything, published every year, should be able to get it at most places, has the most comprehensive info about the majors applying what percent of over 30 majors or so get in, all the med schools' contact info, how to cook liver, how to fly an airplane backwards, whatever you can think of...

Members don't see this ad :)
The best thing i ever did was get myself a book called "The Best Medical Schools" by Princeton Review. IT'S AWESOME!!!! I personally think it's better than the MSAR, b/c the stats are awesome. There's this special "Gourman Rating" thing they have going on, which compares one school to another....stats on how many students get from in state and out state (for 90 percent of schools) average MCATS...info on student life...student resources....hospital and clinical setting resources...financial aid...Also info on the BAD points about the school according to the students. i really think that this book, in combination with MSAR is more than you need.

US News Data in Excel format from an earlier thread.

<a href="http://www.people.virginia.edu/~gem3m/med/2003%20Rankings.xls" target="_blank">http://www.people.virginia.edu/~gem3m/med/2003%20Rankings.xls</a>

You may want to ask your pre-med advisor if they have stats on past applicants from your college who have gotten into med school. My school had this data going back 5 years and it was great because you can see how highly regarded your college is with certain med schools. I found it more accurate than nationwide data.