Medical school and track and field

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yaadboy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a track and field athlete who is planning to go to medical school. I was wondering if i will still be able to train for track and field while in medical school. training is 3 hours every evening.

Members don't see this ad.

Multiply your current undergrad workload by 2.5, now ask yourself, "Self, can I manage to train every evening and still keep up in school?"

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a track and field athlete who is planning to go to medical school. I was wondering if i will still be able to train for track and field while in medical school. training is 3 hours every evening.

I actually laughed when I read this. For some reference, my lightest undergrad semester ever was 15 credits, I worked a job, and was involved in all the normal ECs needed to get into medical school, and I have way less free time now than I did in undergrad. So.... unless you are demigod genius, there is no way you can train 3 hours a day.

For the first two years, it's easily doable for some people. I had classmates who averaged less than 30 hours a week of studying and did fine. But some people need to spend two or three times that much time just to pass.

It's pretty much impossible for most of third and parts of fourth year. There are times where you'll be in the hospital for 80+ hours a week. On top of not getting enough sleep, you might go all day without a chance to eat.

Everyone has a different study method and some people need more repitition than others. Itsvtotally dependent on you and your schools mandatory class time. This is why people say they have no time for anything 3rd and 4th year;the mandatory stuff is your whole day in the hospital. For me right now, i usually start class at 9 and am done no later than 3. Ive got plenty of time to do whatever i want.