Medical School in Norway

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

which scandinavia country offers the best salaries for Doctors

• Norway

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Sweden

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Doc24

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys

I am interested in applying for med school in Norway, and would like to know if any of you find extremely competitive the admission process ? I graduated from high school with pretty good marks, also went to college for 3 years, never graduated though, got good marks too (3.5) GPA. the thing is that never took any of those advance courses in Mathematics,physics or chemistry that the medical schools in Norway require. I was actually majoring in Philosophy. do you think I will get a chance to get accepted knowing that I did not take any of those courses?

any insight would be appreciated,

Members don't see this ad.

No I am not. although the regulations for admission say that the prospective (international) med student can choose among ;
A) Exam from upper secondary school in Norway, with Norwegian as second language.
B) Exam in the universities` Norwegian language step 3 for foreign applicants.
C) ”Bergenstesten”, higher level, with 450 points or more.
D) One year higher education in the Norwegian language and social studies for foreign applicants

so I guess I will go for the year of instruction in Norwegian language.​

Members don't see this ad :)
do you happen to know which Medical program in Europe usually takes in students with no that great GPAs from high school ?

Which part of Europe? Western Europe, Central Europe or Eastern Europe....I do know a couple of Polish medical schools which don't really look at the GPA as much but they are quite expensive in terms of tuition and living expenses....The other two central european countries....Czech Republic and Hungary are also quite similar and they are the 2nd most expensive after the polish medical schools...

I believe that med schools in scandinavia which are great and free of charge expect you to be fluent in their native language before give you admission of any sort. I found out that in Norway to take a year prior med school for the purpose of learning the language is just not an option. you either speak the language at that time when admission comes around or you dont. it makes sense. I am interested in any med school in western Europe that do not take into account that much GPA scores and are not that crazy expensive ? think of some one ?

I think most of the Western European medical schools heavily rely on GPA as with the case of Western European schools, the admission process is quite tough (so they consider the students' GPAs and they entrance exam scores). I think most of the schools in Western europe are almost free but the living expenses can be a bit on the high side.

I know a friend who majored in german during college in the States and then applied a some medical schools in Germany and he got through Tubingen which is quite a good school. I know two other such people who went to Heidelberg. But all three of them later transferred to a Central European school for an english program because they had problems with the language...which is quite understandable considering that you have to be fluent in the language in 10 months!!!

but the good thing about the scandinavian schools that I've heard is that some of them, if not all, use english textbooks but the course as such is taught in swedish/danish/norwegian and the seminars and discussions also take place in the respective languages.

If you want to look at schools in Germany, then you should try and consider Heidelberg, Tubingen, Jena, and Dresden Universities...although they're all very competitive.

I think in Sweden, Karolinska university is one of the best....although the others (uppsala, umean, linkoping, gothenburg, and lund are quite good too).

With the western european medical schools, almost all of them offer quality education...but getting in is the main contraint.

Good luck!

I think most of the Western European medical schools heavily rely on GPA as with the case of Western European schools, the admission process is quite tough (so they consider the students' GPAs and they entrance exam scores). I think most of the schools in Western europe are almost free but the living expenses can be a bit on the high side.

I know a friend who majored in german during college in the States and then applied a some medical schools in Germany and he got through Tubingen which is quite a good school. I know two other such people who went to Heidelberg. But all three of them later transferred to a Central European school for an english program because they had problems with the language...which is quite understandable considering that you have to be fluent in the language in 10 months!!!

but the good thing about the scandinavian schools that I've heard is that some of them, if not all, use english textbooks but the course as such is taught in swedish/danish/norwegian and the seminars and discussions also take place in the respective languages.

If you want to look at schools in Germany, then you should try and consider Heidelberg, Tubingen, Jena, and Dresden Universities...although they're all very competitive.

I think in Sweden, Karolinska university is one of the best....although the others (uppsala, umean, linkoping, gothenburg, and lund are quite good too).

With the western european medical schools, almost all of them offer quality education...but getting in is the main contraint.

Good luck!
Hello,m from India
Can u please provide me info as to how can I get in a med college in germany,What is admission procedure,admission requirements,last date to apply,etc.????

I think most of the good med schools will have issues with you going to college for 3 years but never graduating. If you didn't finish college what makes you think you would finish med school? They wont want to risk a place on someone they don't think will finish the course, it is a waste of their time and money. So basically you better have a really good reason or apply to some less competitive med schools.