Medical School Inquiry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Need Things

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying to medical school in Poland straight from high school and my ultimate is to become a neurosurgeon. However I want to do residency here in Canada and I am aware it's very competitive especially in surgery. It's a six year program in Poland and I know by then a lot will have changed(i.e policies). What are my chances of getting into a residency program here in Canada for neurosurgery that is after I finish the MD program in Poland. The university I will be applying to is Medical University of Gdansk. If anyone knows or has attended the university your input is appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Members don't see this ad.

This is harsh but your chance is 0%. Don't go to the Medical University of Gdansk. I will be willing to bet my money that if you go to Medical University of Gdansk 6 years later you will not get into a neurosurgery residency. If you go to poland you will be an IMG. There are 0 spots in all of Canada for IMGs in neurosurgery and 6 spots for General Surgery. There are hundreds of fully trained physicians and IMGs much more qualified than you who compete for those spots every year. In the US, there are practically 0 spots. Actually there are a little more than a 100 spots, but you will be competing with US MDs and other International MDs and you will not get a spot. If you want to become a family doctor or another low competitive specialty then you can go assuming you know the risks of being an IMG. If you want to do a medium competitive specialty you should stay in Canada. Neurosurgery is one of the most difficult fields in medicine requiring long hours and really is done only in a few centers in Canada. When they have dozens of qualified Canadian MD students fighting for 10-20 neurosurgery spots every year they will never take a IMG.

Even if you try to do neurosurgery in Poland you will never be able to return to Canada or the US.

Reactions: 1 user