Medical School Nightmare

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AP002002

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am currently doing my third year of undergrad. I have taken all my natural science courses and have below a 3.0 GPA in them. My overall GPA is above a 3.0. I am a science major so I still have at least 4-6 science courses to complete. Even if I get A's in those courses, I still am not sure if I can bring my science GPA up to a 3.0. I really really want to do a post bacc program. What are my chances of getting into a formal post bacc program?
Thanks,
Amitha

Members don't see this ad.

No one on this board can tell you your chances of getting into a program. You will have to search the websites and find out if programs list a specific requirement for GPA, MCAT, or whatever. Remember, you must apply to get into a program. If you don't apply b/c you think your chances suck, you will never get into one, and you will never find out if you could have gotten into one and then into med school. My advice to you is to make sure you want to pursue a medical career as a physician. If you do, go for it and apply. I completed a post-bacc course and it was the best the best decision I ever made. It was not a cheap investment, but it got me into med school.

Goodluck

AP002002 said:
Hi all,
I am currently doing my third year of undergrad. I have taken all my natural science courses and have below a 3.0 GPA in them. My overall GPA is above a 3.0. I am a science major so I still have at least 4-6 science courses to complete. Even if I get A's in those courses, I still am not sure if I can bring my science GPA up to a 3.0. I really really want to do a post bacc program. What are my chances of getting into a formal post bacc program?
Thanks,
Amitha[/QUOTE
:thumbup: Keep your spirits up. There are ways around it. Take it from a person who has taken that route. You still have time. Take classes elsewhere, take anatomy and physiology classes. Apply to the Carribean. Always be positive. If doctor is really what you want to be, try anything you can. Life is long, two extra years will not matter.

Members don't see this ad :)
AP002002 said:
Hi all,
Thanks,
Amitha
Amitha,

There is really more to it than just your science and overall GPA. How did your grades trend overall as you went from a freshman to a junior? Were there any unusual circumstances that led to a lower GPA? Why is your science GPA lower? You have to look at your overall situation and ask yourself those questions. Also, be ready to explain them.

As for formal post-bacc programs, it depends on where you want to go. Usually only the best get into programs such as Bryn Mawr or Goucher. There are other lesser-known programs in which you could gain admission. A strong science school in PA is Albright College. They have linkages with undergrads with Penn State School of Medicine. They only require a 2.5 to get in. I do not know where you live, but I would check the AAMC website and do a search for where you want to live.

Good luck.

Johnny_D said:
Amitha,

There is really more to it than just your science and overall GPA. How did your grades trend overall as you went from a freshman to a junior? Were there any unusual circumstances that led to a lower GPA? Why is your science GPA lower? You have to look at your overall situation and ask yourself those questions. Also, be ready to explain them.

As for formal post-bacc programs, it depends on where you want to go. Usually only the best get into programs such as Bryn Mawr or Goucher. There are other lesser-known programs in which you could gain admission. A strong science school in PA is Albright College. They have linkages with undergrads with Penn State School of Medicine. They only require a 2.5 to get in. I do not know where you live, but I would check the AAMC website and do a search for where you want to live.

Good luck.

I just finished my first semester of my junior year. I took biochem, a neuroscience class, psych stats, and medical anthropology. I have a really good chance of getting A's and B's in all these classes so I definitely think that I am starting to show an upward trend. How does this affect my chances?
Thanks for all your posts...so encouraging!

AP002002 said:
How does this affect my chances?
Thanks for all your posts...so encouraging!

Not to pick on you, but I see a lot of posts from people asking SDN members to rate "my chances" of getting into X school, etc. Remember that no one can really accurately tell you your chances, because no one serves on an admissions committe! You will hear a lot of mixed responses, some harsh that make you feel like crap, and make you think its impossible and some encouraging that make you feel good. The point is that you can get a lot of good advice from asking people with similar backgrounds, however asking anyone to rate your chances is only going to drive you crazy, because everyone is different. Your BEST option is going to someone who has a more educated critizism like a pre-med advisor or such. Beleive me, save your sanity before you become an SDN zombie and get the right advice from the right people.

Amitha, if you have already taken some of the core pre-med coursework, I would suggest that you look into a few options:

(1) a special science program -- it's like a post-bacc program in that it guides you through the application process while taking courses to bolster your overall gpa. university of pennsylvania has such a program. if you work full-time there, you receive tuition benefits.

(2) a masters program in biomedical science -- a number of schools have these programs as a segway into med school.

In both instances, it will be vital to your AMCAS app that you do well. Furthermore, research background, direct patient contact experience, and other activities play a large role in the application process as well as the MCAT. Best wishes to you! Your road to med school may be longer w/ a little detour, but you'll make it if you really want to be a physician.