Medical School Survival Skills

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Harry Truman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Spinning off of a post I saw on the Rotations and Residencies Board: what are some things that you wished you had know prior to starting med school? Any tips for succeeding in ones first year? What would you do differently if you were able to start med school over again?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Some random thoughts:
1. There is NOTHING you can do the summer before starting to make it easier other than relax and have fun.

2. You should buy a medical dictionary (not JUST a pocket one, but a big one as well -- I like Stedman's) early.

3. Keep active. It's easy to get bogged down.

4. Keep perspective. When you're studying crap all the time, you lose it. Get a preceptor and take a history from a patient, and remind yourself why it is that you have to learn about fatty acid oxidation or whatever.

5. Make a friend in the M-2 class. Better yet, make a few. We med students, now that we're here, are quite a noncompetitive group, and love to share our knowledge of easy professors, tips on difficulties, etc...

6. Realize that you'll pass, and most likely, you won't shine (the majority of us, anyway!) What does this mean? NOTHING! You'll still get a good residency, and live happily ever after if you don't remember what the hell APE CLAW has to do with your future livelihood.

Just some thoughts...

Enjoy your summer -- MOST IMPORTANT!

Well what I did before I started was went thru the anatomy coloring atlas. It was a good start and I was less confused when I started the class.
I would recommend getting a real medical anatomy atlas (netter) and go through it during the summer when you're bored...it'll give you a nice head start.

Members don't see this ad :)
Set a schedule and stick to it. I studied to about 12am every night first year and to 10pm every night second year. Take a nap every day if you need it. When you get the schedule set you can do what you like and still get your studying done. Get your priorities set now and remember them when school starts things get pretty stressful and its easy to forget whats important.