Medical School while Married

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theroadtomed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wasn't sure if I should post this in med, or pre-me, but I chose to post it here. I'll be applying to medical school next cycle, as will my wife. We are both in state residents of Georgia, and we should both be fairly competitive applicants. We're worried about what will happen though. We hope to both get into one of the state schools, be it public or private. Do they medical schools ever take into account that you and your spouse are applying to the school? Also, and this is the reason why I posted this in Allopathic, has anyone ever heard of medical schools accepting transfers to be at the same school as your spouse? I know that medical schools do not often accept transfers between them, but if were to not get into the same medical school, we were hoping to be able to apply for transfer soon after attending medical school to be together.

Any input is valued, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I wasn't sure if I should post this in med, or pre-me, but I chose to post it here. I'll be applying to medical school next cycle, as will my wife. We are both in state residents of Georgia, and we should both be fairly competitive applicants. We're worried about what will happen though. We hope to both get into one of the state schools, be it public or private. Do they medical schools ever take into account that you and your spouse are applying to the school? Also, and this is the reason why I posted this in Allopathic, has anyone ever heard of medical schools accepting transfers to be at the same school as your spouse? I know that medical schools do not often accept transfers between them, but if were to not get into the same medical school, we were hoping to be able to apply for transfer soon after attending medical school to be together.

Yes, most places will take this into account, but make sure they know about it (i.e. write a letter). I know this sounds obvious, but I talked with an admissions representative at our school and he said one year a couple like this applied and neglected to tell them until May.

Best of luck.

At our school we have a married couple who started together. Just let them know that you are interested in staying together at the same school. That is one of your reasons for applying there!

Members don't see this ad :)
In my M1 class, there are at least 2 married couples where husband and wife are both students in the class. If you're both competitive applicants, you two should be fine in-state, but I agree that you should inform the admissions directors of your situation. Good luck!

I think overall, transferring it quite hard, but I applied with my wife as well and we are both in school together. Being married helps especially if you are both well qualified. Although schools won't admitt it, they won't want break you up. But you both have to be honeslty qualified. If so, then the schools will have extra incentive to accept both of you because you bring maturity and diversity to the class, and usually married students tend to be reliable donors as alumni.

You should be good. Also, once you are in medical school you can study together and compete and should have stellar grades. Oh, and remember . . . she should be a dermatologist or ophthalmologist and you an orthopedic or plastic surgeon so you can be even THAT much more of a perfect couple.

You should be good. Also, once you are in medical school you can study together and compete and should have stellar grades. Oh, and remember . . . she should be a dermatologist or ophthalmologist and you an orthopedic or plastic surgeon so you can be even THAT much more of a perfect couple.

Yeah,

Or you could be the opthamologist and let her make plastics money while you drive the yacht;)

we have a married couple in our class, and also a girl in our class married to a M1 at another school. I think he is going to try to transfer to our school, supposedly

First off I know this is a stressful time...my wife and I are both 4th year students so we've been through the initial stress of getting into medical school and now stressed again couples matching. We both are at a state school and it took into account us being a couple. They allowed us to interview together, made the interview schedule nice and it was a major plus for the program. Secondly, we have two students in our class whose spouse transferred in after second year. So I think it can be done if you don't get into the same school together. Good luck, I hope things work out.