Medical Schools in the Middle East?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Twiigg

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I was born in the United States and am a U.S. citizen, but I am interested in going to a medical school in the Middle East. Does anyone know of any medical schools in the middle east and if they accept people from America? I am majoring in Arabic, and would love to get to go to school, do residency, and work there. Is this possible? Does anyone have any more information on this and what Middle East medical schools require to be accepted? Thank you all so much for your time! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Twig,

You need to be more specific about where you want to go in the Middle East. I can tell you about Jordan.

Hello Twig,

You need to be more specific about where you want to go in the Middle East. I can tell you about Jordan.

yeah anything you got! i just sent you a pm tho :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright. I'll contact you through PM. Should anybody else be interested, we will discuss it in this thread.

You should absolutely look into the American University of Beirut. It's a phenomenal university with excellent (American curriculum) medical and public health schools.

http://wwwlb.aub.edu.lb/
http://wwwlb.aub.edu.lb/academics/acad-fm.html

It really is an excellent medical school that has been around for over 140 years and was a member of the Association of American Medical Colleges until 1988 when the Association changed its rules to only allow schools on the North American continent.

I seriously considered attending there myself - I'm also an American who studied Arabic as an undergrad and actually lived in Beirut for a short while. Send me a message if you want more information about it.

Hello,

I will be travelling to Kuwait within the next 2 months on work. Currently, I am not a student, but I do wish to study simultaneously through my work period in Kuwait. I am very interested in Veterinary Physiotherapy and I have been given to understand that I would need to specialize in Human Physiotherapy first.

I doubt though that Kuwait has educational institutions in relation to the above, but the internet shows Dubai as one of the places in the Middle East where such a study is possible.

Does anyone know if online study is available in this field? Who could I speak with in Kuwait / Dubai that could advise me on how to go about this study? I have absolutely no idea on costs, specializations, etc. and need to talk to someone who can give me good brief on what I should do.

Thank you!

hey wellaz, i noticed u mentioned cornell in qatar. I really wanna get accepted there. I'm still doing my undergrad here in the U.S i'm originally jordanian..
I might have a green card by the time i apply to cornell, but if not i'm going to apply as a jordanian citizen....
what would give me a better chance? applying as a middle eastern(jordanian) or putting down that i'm from the u.s ..idk some schools look at that stuff..over here in the u.s if your an international student you have such a low chance to be accepted..but if u have a green card its a totally diff story..
anyways..it would be really great if u cud help me out n tell me info about cornell in qatar...what are their gpa nd MCAT score requirements and what else do they look at and if u know anyone that got in..
thank you:)

Hey Jordan26

i would advise you to check out the cornell qatar website as it has all the answers to your questions.. but in a nutshell, they don't care about your citizenship as it's a private university. They might favor students with some Middle East connection as it simply means they might fit better in that environment.. but nothing specific about that is mentioned. Their GPA and MCAT requirement are not easy for an overseas school.. they mentioned that last year's class average was around 3.5 GPA and 34 on the MCAT.. good luck! I'm applying too and really hope to get in!!

hey thinker thank you so much for replying please keep me updated about what happens with you...omg 34 on the mcat for an overseas school...i'm applying next year probably so tell me what happens wtih you! also if u dnt mind me asking are ur gpa and mcat scores higher than the averages or a little bit bellow? cuz honestly i doubt i'll get 34 on the mcat...

my scores are a bit lower than those averages.. i have a 33Q. but I also am finishing my M.Sc. with a publication.. so I donno :(

you can get a 34.. just practice! get books from at least two MCAT companies (Kaplan + something else)

Hey so i stumbled across this thread while looking for another one.
Im currently a second year premed student at cornell qatar - applying for med school for fall2010.
and from what i know and have heard, theres no nationality/citizenship preference and theres no bias for external applicants vs internal applicants - the only reason that there are so few external applicants in med school is that a few apply in the first place. personally, i think being an external applicant is a good thing - you get to bring a lot of diversity and perspectives.
and dont worry too much about mcat, scoring above 30 is still competitive.
PS: examkrackers for mcat all the way!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

Regards

Last edited: