Medical Schools without a big city?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jram2323

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would consider adding some more schools to my list: Emory and UVA in particular. Thing is, I'm worried that if I go there, I'll be bored because they are not really in a large city (atlanta<NYC/Boston/DC etc). Same goes for Duke. How much should I take this into consideration? Obv all these schools have great programs and I'd be well-off at all of them but will social life suffer? Any input from med students?

Members don't see this ad.

I would consider adding some more schools to my list: Emory and UVA in particular. Thing is, I'm worried that if I go there, I'll be bored because they are not really in a large city (atlanta<NYC/Boston/DC etc). Same goes for Duke. How much should I take this into consideration? Obv all these schools have great programs and I'd be well-off at all of them but will social life suffer? Any input from med students?

If you don't think Atlanta is a large city I don't know what to tell you, but I do wonder if you've ever been there.

If you don't think Atlanta is a large city I don't know what to tell you, but I do wonder if you've ever been there.

:laugh: Yeah... Atlanta's a tiny little hamburg. Just suffer through the traffic one day on a Friday afternoon and then try to say that.

Charlottesville is a nice town with plenty of bars, clubs, etc. UVA engulfs most of the city which means the entire city is built for the college student. Plenty of activities.

Members don't see this ad :)
ATL is a huge city with tons to do and lots of students and young professionals. If you are bored there you're not doing something right.

:lol: Have you ever been to Atlanta? Try flying there, renting a car and driving to Emory. AS far as I know Atlanta has the busiest airport in the US and as someone else said rush hour is horrible and not just on Friday.

Ok maybe emory was a bad example: let's stick with UVA and Duke. Maybe throw penn state hershey in there. A medical student in a college town? I'm just imagining myself as a med student in my current college town , I'd want to get the hell out of there lol. Not a very mature crowd, underage drinking.

Last I checked, Atlanta is top 10 in the US for biggest cities. Oh also, I happen to have lived there for a while so I would know.

Ok after looking up populations s on wiki I realize I'm an idiot--> ATL even tops Boston. Sry about that

From personal experience, having grown up and lived in big cities for 30 years of my life (Moscow, Russia followed by NYC), and having moved for school to a rural setting, once classes start, getting bored is almost a luxury..

Lol at atl not being a big city

When I visited UVA for interviews and Second Look, all the med students seemed ridiculously happy and it basically seemed like my undergrad school (another flagship state school) located in Virginia. I would've gone there if not for an offer from a school at the very top of my list.

I wouldn't compare UVA / Duke to Penn State in terms of atmosphere. UVA and Duke are in college towns. Penn State is in Hershey, which is removed from the undergrad main campus (unless you do your rotations there). The nearest "city" is Harrisburg... which... sucks.

Ok maybe emory was a bad example: let's stick with UVA and Duke. Maybe throw penn state hershey in there. A medical student in a college town? I'm just imagining myself as a med student in my current college town , I'd want to get the hell out of there lol. Not a very mature crowd, underage drinking.

Duke is another poor choice. It's not Emory bad, but it's still not what I would throw out there. Everything is relatively close in that area of NC...

Iowa, UVA, VaTech, East Tennessee (Quillen), probably UT as well...IU has a lot of satellites out there.. MSU, Mercer, probably UMass although it's pretty close to Boston, PSU, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Commonwealth (PA),

Wright State and Toledo are probably closer to how I feel about Duke.

The thing with a lot of these is that they are college towns.. I don't think you are going to get bored... notable exception is probably Quillen & Texas Tech.. prepare to be bored.

:lol: Have you ever been to Atlanta? Try flying there, renting a car and driving to Emory. AS far as I know Atlanta has the busiest airport in the US and as someone else said rush hour is horrible and not just on Friday.

Actually, Atlanta has the busiest airport in the world for at least the past decade.

Wright State and Toledo are probably closer to how I feel about Duke.

If you're afraid of getting bored, Toledo may not be the place for you. We do have a AAA baseball team though! Go Hens!

If you're afraid of getting bored, Toledo may not be the place for you. We do have a AAA baseball team though! Go Hens!

Lol, as a hardcore baseball fan, no triple A team could get me to live in Toledo

You should go to medical school for the medical school. Location should be a secondary factor since your social life will be among medical students. For me, I could be happy anywhere as long as I have a computer, good books, some bars, and some coffee shops. It's only 4 years...