Medical scribe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Virgo32

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
does this position help me to get into a residency? there is no hands-on experience in this job.

Members don't see this ad.

It's better than a non-medical job. It won't replace US clinical experience.
Thank you for the answer. Does program directors consider research experience more than working as the medical scribe? I'm an IMG and need an answer

Members don't see this ad :)
There's no answer. Some programs may prefer one over another. It also might depend upon what the research was and how successful you were, or what your scribe position was and how close it might mirror what you'd do as an intern.

Reactions: 1 user
I think that this would be a bonus if there is any question about your English ability. Plus you get to see a wide variety of patient presentations (scribes mostly work in the Emergency Department). It is not, however, "clinical experience". No one will expect you to synthesize information and work on a differential diagnosis. In fact, this would probably be discouraged.

-Skip

I think that this would be a bonus if there is any question about your English ability. Plus you get to see a wide variety of patient presentations (scribes mostly work in the Emergency Department). It is not, however, "clinical experience". No one will expect you to synthesize information and work on a differential diagnosis. In fact, this would probably be discouraged.

-Skip
It's hard to get a USCE or observership for an IMG, does it help in getting a medical residency?

It's hard to get a USCE or observership for an IMG, does it help in getting a medical residency?

I think any clinical experience, especially one where someone will write you a glowing LoR, would be beneficial.

-Skip

Reactions: 1 user