medical specialty research journals?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Omyss

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey i'm trying to decide what speciality i want to go into and i read on this forum that one way of doing so is to read medical journals of the specilaty of interest to see if the research intersts you..... anyone know where i could find these medical specialty journals and/or what they're called?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Are you asking for the main journals for each specialty? That'd be an incredibly exhaustive list.

Start off with some of the big ones - JAMA, New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM), to get a good overview of medicine. You can see what you think of those first before branching out.

ummm...doesn't your school have a medical library (or a section of the library devoted to medical journals for the medical school)? If so, then thats the easiest place to go if you want to browse. Pubmed is the next best place to go if you are stuck without a real library.

reading journal articles isn't a good way to pick a specialty. some fields that you might find the research in to be very interesting, have very mundane clinical practice (e.g. for me diabetes research is interesting, but no way will I ever consider endocrinology.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that looking through a few journals doesn't hurt when considering different specialties. I'm just now entering MS3, but during my first two years I tried to look at the clinical experiences I've had (before and during medical school), the subjects I found interesting in class, and tried comming up with a list of specialties I might be interested in. I browsed through some journals in the medical library. I joined a few professional organizations. Medical student fees are either free or deeply discounted. With membership you usually get a journal or some variety. I didn't exactly have a lot of time to sit back and read journals for fun, but I found it useful to flip through the journals and see the difference between the type of research done in EM vs Anesthesiology vs Psych, etc.

I certainly wouldn't use journals as a the main reason to choose a specialty over another one. And after all this is it possible that I'll start MS3 and fall in love with Ob/Gyn having never ever considered it? Yes, but that doesn't mean that looking at a few journals was a waste. Having more information and perspective is never a bad thing.

Without being too presumptuous, the OP might be referring to me as this is something I have said numerous times.

Dakota put it well, even if you decide not to go into a particular field reading the lit can't hurt you.

Reading journal articles helps you understand the issues. Wanting to be like Patrick Dempsey is not a good reason to choose NSurg, you have to figure out if you get off reading about controversial issues in the management of GBMs.

If the OP is looking for specific journals for each field the major ones are usually not hard to find as they have fair impressive names...

Archives of Internal Medicine
Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Pediatrics
Journal of the American College of Surgeons
Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery
Annals of Emergency Medicine
Critical Care Medicine

etc etc.