Medical students can be annoying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rs2006

student
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all
fourth year med student here-- just wanted to know how you feel about your fellow med students-- I feel that they can be quite annoying-- any thoughts-- thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It's very interesting to watch the transition from 2nd to 3rd year. You really separate the wheat from the shaft. I have found that residents and attendings are grateful when students show up on time, work hard, and are pleasant to be around. This sounds easy but it's astounding how often it seems to elude people. Then they just can't understand why some resident gave them a bad eval when they clearly knew all the answers when pimped and are at the top of their class.

Hmm.

And as for annoying, I must not have gotten the memo that said in order to get a good eval you had to be pushy, overly eager, and follow your intern/resident/atttending everywhere they go, including the bathroom. If any student ever does that to me (in a couple of years) we are going to have a chat.

I always say, the worst part about medical school is other medical students...

Oddly enough, most of them seem to turn into normal people once they match and start residency. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Oddly enough, most of them seem to turn into normal people once they match and start residency

Totally agree! Med students seem to be completely obsessed the 'numbers'- everything is about getting the best score on USMLE step 1/2, making 'top grades', having the best class rank, etc, etc. In residency none of that stuff matters anymore at all (and people do start to realize that after a while)- it is about how hard you work, your attitude, being a professional with your colleagues and staff, interacting well with your patients and their families, applying the knowledge you have learned in the books to real life situations. Your score on USMLE step 1/2, class rank, etc. will have little to do with any of these situations. It doesn't matter how book smart you are, if you can not excel in the communication/social/team-work aspect of medicine, you will not be a successful physician.

sophiejane said:
I always say, the worst part about medical school is other medical students...
Ditto. Med school was by far the toughest period of my life not just because of the material I had to cram into my brain, but also because I was stuck with classmates who were either annoying as hell or were downright evil. There were a handful of students who everyone identified as narcissist personality disorder, though none of them ever realized that no one could stand them. :eek:

Oddly enough, most of them seem to turn into normal people once they match and start residency. :)
I hope that's true. Unfortunately, I've had more experiences with the resident from hell than the attending from hell. :(

My med school class was pretty good, actually. There is just one person in the class whom I cannot stand. Unfortunately, she is applying in the same field as me. Matching with her would be awful. She actually told classmates during our first month in med school that she was going to be AOA and would quit medicine if she didn't do residency at Mass General, Brigham, or a couple of other top places (this was as a first year!). While it would be nice if she changed into a decent person during residency, I'm not counting on it.

On the other hand, I often feel sorry for her, because she is so clearly unhappy, and has been since I met her four years ago. Her entire self worth is based on achievement and being better than everyone around her :( Unfortunately, she deals with this by putting everyone down and making snide remarks. I met her recently at a residency interview and I told her that I was really interested in Program A (a well-known, respected academic program) and her reply was, "Yeah, I think that place is ok, but I would really prefer to be at the Brigham. I mean, if I just wanted to be some community general surgeon, I might go to Program A." :mad: I'm not even sure if she knew that that was insulting. Ugh, what a freaking a-hole. Another time, when I was getting LORs, I was talking with her casually, and I mentioned that I was nervous about residency applications. She replied, "Well, I'm just not certain where I should go. This attending at Johns Hopkins keeps calling me and telling me to come to his program, but I don't think I want to go there."

Sorry for the rant, I just really don't like this girl. While going to the same program with her would be torture, it's going to be ten times worse for the residents who have her as chief :eek:

Overall, though, I've been really happy about the other applicants I have met on interviews. Except for a couple of people, they seem like people I would enjoy working with.

Good lord, she sounds like a nightmare. I wonder, does she have any friends? And will her life suddenly be enjoyable and meaningful when she is the World's Greatest Surgeon from the World's Greatest Residency Program? Extremely unlikely.

I think I'd feel more pity for her than anything. That, and I sure hope her bedside manner is better than that...

What's the best way to find the med student people think is annoying?
Look for the one complaining about how it's the other med students who are annoying.

sophiejane said:
It's very interesting to watch the transition from 2nd to 3rd year. You really separate the wheat from the shaft.

Not being a grammar nazi, but its "wheat from the chaff". Will be helpful later on, in more formal circumstances. :) Also, while we're at it, I see a lot of "for intensive purposes". It's "intents and purposes". Anway, back to the story at hand...med students come in all flavors...and i wouldnt necessarily say that you can judge how good a physician someone will be based on their 3rd year. If you see someone with huge attitude problems---you can probably be asssured there will be some problems later on. On the other end, if someone is fantastic, I am sure they will be fantastic later on. There are tons of people in the middle howeve,r that need more time to mature, and read more, etc. I have recently come into my own as a resident and heard great things about myself. I did not always get fantastic reviews as a 3rd year medical student or as an intern however. Everyone is different.

ugh. please keep above-mentioned med student AWAY from boston...

gwb said:
ugh. please keep above-mentioned med student AWAY from boston...

:laugh: You didn't like the grammar lesson? :laugh: I actually never knew it was wheat from the chaff - interesting. And as for "intents and purposes" - thats just poor english all the way around, right up there with "irregardless" <cringe> :D

All med students are annoying - just ask their S.O.'s that AREN'T in medicine ;)

As a medical student I take offense. I am not annoying. My classmates are not annoying. Its just that medical school is awkward. Its like the adolecence of Proffesional life, we're all trying to find ourselves, and it can be rocky, but I'm sure we will all settle in and everything will be just fine. Except that super bitch who will be at MGH or BW. Thank god I won't be there.

DrNick2006 said:
As a medical student I take offense. I am not annoying. My classmates are not annoying. Its just that medical school is awkward. Its like the adolecence of Proffesional life, we're all trying to find ourselves, and it can be rocky, but I'm sure we will all settle in and everything will be just fine. Except that super bitch who will be at MGH or BW. Thank god I won't be there.

Couple of thoughts:
1. Medical students are not the adolescents of Medicine, they are the children. Residents are the adolescents. :D
2.Yeah they can be annoying to each other and to residents. Have you ever heard of sibling rivalry? ;) However, the faculty are the parents and they mostly have affection and tolerance for the shenanigans. But, we do have to do the corrections so you grow up strong and good. :love:
3. Nobody likes the grammar police, and internet fora are supposed to be informal. However, medicine is 1/2 communication and it must be clear, particulary when written. Frankly, "wheat from the shaft" and "intensive purposes" just sound dumb. Read some nonmedical novels, preferably 18th century British authors, to learn educated English. My personal bugaboo is "Vital Signs Stable". So, I say "Oh, did you take them twice?" I then get: :confused: :eek: :confused: I add "I was really more interested in whether they were normal, is the patient in shock?" After that, sometimes I get: :idea:
4. Poety, latest avatar: :wow: :love: Keep 'em coming!

jjackis said:
Also, while we're at it, I see a lot of "for intensive purposes". It's "intents and purposes".

Funny! I've never seen that one before. The ones I see here a lot are using except instead of accept -- they mean totally different things even though they sound the same -- and could care less. It's "couldn't care less"! Of couse, "you're" and "your" is a perpetual pet peeve, but I caught myself making that mistake in a post recently. I was quite ashamed. :oops: But, hey, doctors aren't English teachers, lawyers or journalists.

BKN said:
4. Poety, latest avatar: :wow: :love: Keep 'em coming!

I'm getting hell whenever I try to change it - no anonymity for me! They are threatening CPS on psych if I didn't bring her back, with her hand in tact - AND with the date of today's paper so they know my dog didn't eat her :p

pfffttt....

and exxlawgrrll - you are RIGHT! it is SO "COULDN'T CARE LESS" and why do people ALWAYS say "I could care less" well, if you "could" care less, than wouldn't you ..... care less? ARGGGHHH :laugh:

robotsonic said:
My med school class was pretty good, actually. There is just one person in the class whom I cannot stand. Unfortunately, she is applying in the same field as me. Matching with her would be awful. She actually told classmates during our first month in med school that she was going to be AOA and would quit medicine if she didn't do residency at Mass General, Brigham, or a couple of other top places (this was as a first year!). While it would be nice if she changed into a decent person during residency, I'm not counting on it....

WOW, this person sounds like "Jo" from "House of God." (For those of you who haven't read this book, it's definitely a must-read before starting your internship)

robotsonic said:
My med school class was pretty good, actually. There is just one person in the class whom I cannot stand. Unfortunately, she is applying in the same field as me. Matching with her would be awful. She actually told classmates during our first month in med school that she was going to be AOA and would quit medicine if she didn't do residency at Mass General, Brigham, or a couple of other top places (this was as a first year!). While it would be nice if she changed into a decent person during residency, I'm not counting on it.

On the other hand, I often feel sorry for her, because she is so clearly unhappy, and has been since I met her four years ago. Her entire self worth is based on achievement and being better than everyone around her :( Unfortunately, she deals with this by putting everyone down and making snide remarks. I met her recently at a residency interview and I told her that I was really interested in Program A (a well-known, respected academic program) and her reply was, "Yeah, I think that place is ok, but I would really prefer to be at the Brigham. I mean, if I just wanted to be some community general surgeon, I might go to Program A." :mad: I'm not even sure if she knew that that was insulting. Ugh, what a freaking a-hole. Another time, when I was getting LORs, I was talking with her casually, and I mentioned that I was nervous about residency applications. She replied, "Well, I'm just not certain where I should go. This attending at Johns Hopkins keeps calling me and telling me to come to his program, but I don't think I want to go there."

Sorry for the rant, I just really don't like this girl. While going to the same program with her would be torture, it's going to be ten times worse for the residents who have her as chief :eek:

Overall, though, I've been really happy about the other applicants I have met on interviews. Except for a couple of people, they seem like people I would enjoy working with.
"Hey thea" She must have a twin in my class...although definately not going into surgery. However, I smile because I can totally understand the hell it would be to match with this kind of person....everything is a competition, black and white, right and wrong...For four years I've been trying to explain that in Medicine things aren't necessarily as simple as choice "c" on a multiple choice test. Well, I'm certain I won't be in the same field as my annoying classmate...but by the sounds of it they are everywhere...hopefully maturation will occur and these annoying medical students will turn into wonderful residents..

Hey be thankful she is telling you where she wants to go.. so you can go elsewhere...Of course that doesnt help everyone else. Oh well it is EM for me and we are way too cool for school for people like that.

Wow, you know, that was the first (and apparently last) time I've ever used that phrase "wheat from the chaff." Now that I know that there are no shafts involved in wheat stalks, I'll certainly think twice before using such trite expressions on this board again. Who knew y'all (yes, I did that on purpose) were such a literate crowd?

Glad I could provide such a rich source of material for discussion, however. I just hope my English professor mother doesn't ever read this.

(And by the way, BKN, in spite of my spelling error, I actually have a bachelor of fine arts in music with minors in English literature and philosophy. I would love to discuss English literature with you anytime. Fortunately, as you said, this is an informal forum. :) )

sophiejane said:

unless they intend to do a fellowship, than its the same thing

sophiejane said:
(And by the way, BKN, in spite of my spelling error, I actually have a bachelor of fine arts in music with minors in English literature and philosophy. I would love to discuss English literature with you anytime. Fortunately, as you said, this is an informal forum. :) )

Definitely not going there and revealing my ignorance. But I have an almost complete set of the New York Heritage Club books waiting for me when I retire (if ever i do). I inherited it from my mother the librarian, who had read every book worth reading. Including the greek philosophers in the original. :wow:

dang man does it got the xmen in it?

Im glad other people notice grammar errors, too.

Duplicate...oops :(

DrNick2006 said:

As one who's been a med student for four years, I have to say...it's hard to NOT identify with the statement "med students can be annoying." I've been annoying. My classmates have been annoying. All that you've said about the awkwardness of our position is true, but c'mon, we all get on people's nerves from time to time. The annoyance factor comes in a wide array of shapes and colors - asking too many questions during a dire situation, gunning and focusing on grades instead of patient care, sucking up to get a better eval, drooling over every minute piece of scutwork, checking out early while the rest of the team picks up more work, bailing on work "because I have conference/ small group/ lecture/ a hangnail", and the one for which I'm most guilty, running to help but making things worse b/c you have no clue what you're doing.

Annoying? Hellz yeah. Diggidy dog hellz yeah.

GoofyDoc said:
Ditto. Med school was by far the toughest period of my life not just because of the material I had to cram into my brain, but also because I was stuck with classmates who were either annoying as hell or were downright evil. There were a handful of students who everyone identified as narcissist personality disorder, though none of them ever realized that no one could stand them. :eek:

Yup, that sounds like my experience allright. BTW, on of the main narcissists ( I say "main" because the disease is everywhere here) is a particularly obnoxious and overbearing guy who everyone generally refers to as "Chief Medical Student". Apparantly someone told him this year, that that's his nickname and he totally freaked out. It seems he just couldn't believe he wasn't loved by everyone. :eek: :laugh:

BKN said:
Read some nonmedical novels, preferably 18th century British authors, to learn educated English.

Eh, I think you must mean "read som nonmedical novels, preferably 18th century British authors, to learn obsolete, overly formal, annoying English".

Oddly enough, a lot more people say "to all intensive purposes" than "to all intents and purposes" at this stage. Soon it'll deserve to be counted as the correct version. This is a living language after all. The phrase "to all intents and purposes" is clearly redundant anyway. At least "intensive" serves as a qualifier and not merely an impotent duplication like in the "correct" version. The whole thing reminds me of how, in the cartoon series "futurama" the verb "ask" has by the 25th century, morphed into "axe". Everyone laughes at twenthieth century fry when he uses the archaic form "ask". Soon, that'll be how it is when anyone says "to all intents and purposes".

Having said that, what I really hate is when people overuse quotation marks.

robotsonic said:
she deals with this by putting everyone down and making snide remarks. I met her recently at a residency interview and I told her that I was really interested in Program A (a well-known, respected academic program) and her reply was, "Yeah, I think that place is ok, but I would really prefer to be at the Brigham. I mean, if I just wanted to be some community general surgeon, I might go to Program A." :mad: I'm not even sure if she knew that that was insulting. Ugh, what a freaking a-hole. Another time, when I was getting LORs, I was talking with her casually, and I mentioned that I was nervous about residency applications. She replied, "Well, I'm just not certain where I should go. This attending at Johns Hopkins keeps calling me and telling me to come to his program, but I don't think I want to go there."

You're lucky, robotsonic. Well over half of the people at my school, going into my specialty, fit this description to a tee. :(

actually no, i was referring to robotsonic's classmate and begging him to keep super bitch out of boston (well, she can go to mgh). i too have a grammar compulsion and remember seeing a presentation during interviews about resident "comraderie". i didn't rank that place...

Honestly, the worst part about being a third year is being a burden on my attendings and residents. It's definately a fine line between trying to be helpful and just trying too hard.

For example, I'm on Psych right now and I suppose that I'm just used to a faster pace from previous rotations. I end up rounding on all my patients, getting all my work done, etc., and then I have to hang around trying to find something to do. I don't mind working long hours at all, but I would like to be actually working. And so I worry a bit that I look like I'm bored. Truth is: I am! :)

However, I think I've finally learned that the world doesn't revolve around the med student (me). I don't have to freak out if my attending doesn't say "Good morning SJS!", because the fact is, I'm way down the totem pole on his, or her, list of priorities. It seems like as long as I work hard, read, and not waste my superiors time things have worked out fairly well so far.

And yes, grammar nazis, I do start some sentences with the word "And". And I used a double negative. And I might use quotation marks too much. Good night now.

Orange Julius said:
Eh, I think you must mean "read som nonmedical novels, preferably 18th century British authors, to learn obsolete, overly formal, annoying English".

Oddly enough, a lot more people say "to all intensive purposes" than "to all intents and purposes" at this stage. Soon it'll deserve to be counted as the correct version. This is a living language after all. The phrase "to all intents and purposes" is clearly redundant anyway. At least "intensive" serves as a qualifier and not mearly an impotent duplication like in the "correct" version. The whole thing reminds me of how, in the cartoon series "futurama" the verb "ask" has by the 20th century, morphed into "axe". Everyone laughes at twenthieth century fry when he uses the archaic form "ask". Soon, that'll be how it is when anyone says "to all intents and purposes".

So "apparently" you're establishing a "competing organization" as "commander" of the "bad grammar police". ;)

BKN said:
So "apparently" you're establishing a "competing organization" as "commander" of the "bad grammar police". ;)

I was wondering if anyone would get the irony, without the help of emoticon smileys. :)

Orange Julius said:
I was wondering if anyone would get the irony, without the help of emoticon smileys. :)

Naw, we're all too dim. ;) :) :laugh: :smuggrin: :cool: :rolleyes:

Orange Julius said:

Oddly enough, a lot more people say "to all intensive purposes" than "to all intents and purposes" at this stage. Soon it'll deserve to be counted as the correct version. This is a living language after all. The phrase "to all intents and purposes" is clearly redundant anyway. At least "intensive" serves as a qualifier and not mearly an impotent duplication like in the "correct" version. The whole thing reminds me of how, in the cartoon series "futurama" the verb "ask" has by the 20th century, morphed into "axe". Everyone laughes at twenthieth century fry when he uses the archaic form "ask". Soon, that'll be how it is when anyone says "to all intents and purposes".

"for" its... "for all intents... blah blah bad english".... also its "merely"... but it IS axe isn't it? When I AXE YOU a question LOLOLOL IM KIDDIN IM KIDDING - and this was a joke, I know what you mean about having to put smileys all over the place or Lord knows, they're coming to get ya :sleep: :laugh: :laugh: :smuggrin:

robotsonic said:
Dude. Please do your best to convince her to NOT come to the Brigham. We don't need folks like that here. Seriously ya guys...I'll pay you money. Granted, I'm in pathology and she's going into surgery but guess who ends up paging me throughout the day? You got it! The surgeons. If she's that annoying and stuck up, I don't need ppl like that pissing me off :)

Poety said:
"for" its... "for all intents... blah blah bad english".... also its "merely"... but it IS axe isn't it? When I AXE YOU a question LOLOLOL IM KIDDIN IM KIDDING - and this was a joke, I know what you mean about having to put smileys all over the place or Lord knows, they're coming to get ya :sleep: :laugh: :laugh: :smuggrin:
Ha! This reminds me of the Everybody Loves Raymond episode where Ray totally messes up during his first television appearance by repeatedly saying "axe" instead of "ask." :laugh:

I think it's rather harsh to call people who correct grammatical mistakes "grammar nazis." They are pointing out mistakes that, although are trivial in a message forum, could be very damaging if they occurred in a professional context. Also, as native speakers of English we shouldn't be disrespectful of our language by using it so carelessly.

GoofyDoc said:
They are pointing out mistakes that, although are trivial in a message forum, could be very damaging if they occurred in a professional context. Also, as native speakers of English we shouldn't be disrespectful of our language by using it so carelessly.

Hear hear. Tell it like it is, brother. :thumbup:

gwb said:
actually no, i was referring to robotsonic's classmate and begging him to keep super bitch out of boston (well, she can go to mgh). i too have a grammar compulsion and remember seeing a presentation during interviews about resident "comraderie". i didn't rank that place...
sorry to bump a dead thread, but i just read this and had to relate. while browsing freida, i stumbled upon a pd's description of the residents' "espirit decor." i found it thereafter extremely difficult to take the program seriously.

agree with goofydoc. for those who know the prescriptive rules of grammar well, it is difficult to avoid subconscious negative impressions left by those who make common but unpardonable-at-this-stage-of-education errors. i *really* hope i don't sound as sanctimonious as i think i do, bc that's not my intent. certain mistakes come off as unprofessional. others--like beginning sentences with conjunctions, splitting infinitives, ending sentences with prepositions, eliminating capitalization, lacking parallel structure (not really--had to throw in for the irony), or sentence fragments ( ;) ), for example--as stylistic choices. if your grammar has been criticized (as opposed to nitpicked) you should take the opportunity to learn why. there're a lotta influential folks out there who are proudly self-proclaimed grammar nazis.