Medical TV Shows

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

EvenStevens

Renaissance Man
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do any of you guys follow medical tv shows? or have any to suggest
I watch/ have watched:
Greys Anatomy ( Favorite) yes i know its unrealistic but its entertaining
Scrubs
Private Practice
HawthoRNe ( Terribly awful, don't watch it )
Hopkins
Boston Med
NY Med
Chicago Hope

Plan on watching:
ER ( Can't find it anywhere)
House
Emily Owens M.D


I think they are nice little bits and pieces of what being a doctor will be like, at least to pass the time we have until medical school. which is 7 years for me👍
 
I need to try nip/tuck
and yes scrubs is best realistically. I feel like its more true to how medicine takes a toll on your life
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Depends on if you're going for best entertainment or best realistic. I know there are a lot of good shows on Discovery Fit and Health like "Dr. G", "Untold Stories of the ER" (very odd and very good), "Mystery Diagnosis", etc. They are all real stories and are a pretty good watch.
 
Plan on watching:
ER ( Can't find it anywhere)

If your parents use Netflix you might be able to rent the dvd set of ER from there. Another pretty old show that's dramatic but interesting is St. Elsewhere. My parents were obsessed with both before I was even born, and according to my mom "Grey's anatomy has nothing on ER." 🙄

Oh! Dr. 90210 is a reality show that's on netflix & amazon instant. It's cool because you get to see a lot of plastic surgery. Season 2 > Season 1.

I looove Private Practice. Addison is a quality fictional character.
 
I personally would like to know the validity behind nip/tuck. Horrible show but you can't stop watching it. I don't know how legit it is but it certainly provides entertainment.

Niptuck is all drama. I personally like the show because its just entertaining. It's the closest thing you are going to come to realistic surgeries on tv. They make it really graphic. Besides that the show revolves around money, sex, and alcohol...
 
Also I don't know if people know this but there is no such thing as a diagnostition as seen in House so there's a lie right there. Houses job really doesn't exist.
 
Also I don't know if people know this but there is no such thing as a diagnostition as seen in House so there's a lie right there. Houses job really doesn't exist.

"Look, I know you all curl up on your futons at night dreaming of cracking a real-life medical mystery so that some doctor/supermodel will want to touch your eruption button, but here's the bad news: This isn't a TV show. There aren't any cameras over here, real medical mysteries don't happen every week, and doctors damn sure don't look like models, they look like Rex."

oTKkH.gif
 
Thanks for the clarification bro. I didn't think it would hold much validity, but you never know. I heard they hired people on set to try to make it realistic as far as actual surgeries go. I guess they did an OK job?

Ye i've heard the same. On the show ER they hired a surgeon from UCLA medical center to set up consultations... I think that's pretty cool.
 
What I'm excited for right now:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNV5zlRqCOg&sns=em[/youtube]
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
LOL animal practice looks good, when does it premiere?
and ill try doc after i catch up to saving hope ( 8 eps
 
WOW are you joking? You don't even throw out a SPOILER ALERT...

In order for me to explain how that isn't a spoiler i would have to spoil the finale.
but sorry I'm caught up to almost every show on that list so i haven't had to deal with spoilers
 
In order for me to explain how that isn't a spoiler i would have to spoil the finale.
but sorry I'm caught up to almost every show on that list so i haven't had to deal with spoilers

No worries dude its no big deal I got bored of that show anyways.
 
Scrubs was actually rated most medically accurate. Personally, I love that show, but also love House. It's so good.
 
Wow, this has to be the largest amount of people I've seen in one thread on hSDN. 😱

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: davidbm95, DreadfulGlory, EvenStevens, nazmar, me

That's sad...
 
Wow, this has to be the largest amount of people I've seen in one thread on hSDN. 😱

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: davidbm95, DreadfulGlory, EvenStevens, nazmar, me

That's sad...

I wish these forums were more active, I was feel out of place kinda posting in Pre-Allo forums
 
You have to understand that the old hSDNers, like me, are getting ready for college now and don't have much time to post. For the past year or so (before you joined), we were the only ones keeping it alive. We'll be moving to Pre-Allo soon anyway, so you guys will be inheriting the hSDN page.
 
House is a great show, if you enjoy cynicism and comedy. Every episode is a new mystery, with the drama continuing throughout the seasons. Some of the medical stuff is cheesy with blatant plot devices almost every episode, but you do learn some of the basic things behind differential diagnosis. The main fun of the show is the character interactions with each other, and less on the patients and medicine. Most of the scenes with Greg are just hysterical.

This show was one of the factors that helped along my decision to switch to a health career, not in any particular way though. I like the way the doctors are portrayed and I feel a lot of the issues they deal with are close to home.
 
Depends on if you're going for best entertainment or best realistic. I know there are a lot of good shows on Discovery Fit and Health like "Dr. G", "Untold Stories of the ER" (very odd and very good), "Mystery Diagnosis", etc. They are all real stories and are a pretty good watch.

I LOVE Dr. G and Mystery Diagnosis, especially trying to figure out what is wrong with the people on the show (Even though I'm usually wrong lol). But my all time favorite is House! I wanted to punch a wall in once I learned House was being canceled.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
"Look, I know you all curl up on your futons at night dreaming of cracking a real-life medical mystery so that some doctor/supermodel will want to touch your eruption button, but here's the bad news: This isn't a TV show. There aren't any cameras over here, real medical mysteries don't happen every week, and doctors damn sure don't look like models, they look like Rex."

oTKkH.gif



For the longest time I thought Dr. Cox said 'wrecks' not 'Rex'.
 
Scrubs is awesome. I just finished watching Boston med and NY med. They were both really good too. Does anyone know where I can watch Hopkins?
 
Grey's Antomy is amazing! I love it (though I admit it's not realistic at all), House M.D. is good, and Emily Owens M.D. is called a "Grey's Anatomy Knock-off"....Scrubs is realistic, though I have to admit, it wasn't for me....ER, was good too....(though, again not for me).....I love Private Practice also, though I heard this is the last season, and there are only going to be thirteen episodes....(Maybe Amelia can join her big brother Derek in Grey's? - And take over as the new head of Neuro Surgery? I mean, he is teaching, and can't operate right??)

Keeping the thread alive 🙂