Medical Volunteer Abroad Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Msk3195

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in volunteering abroad (Africa/Asia) during my summer between my M1 and M2 years and was wondering if anyone knew of any fun, safe, and reputable programs out there?

Members don't see this ad.

Check with your school. A lot of med schools offering a medical mission trip during the summers between 1 and 2. Off of the top of my head, I know NOVA and ACOM both do one.

If you're looking for undergrad medical mission trips, check this out:

ISL | International Service Learning

My undergrad institution had a club that would organize trips through this program. I went to Panama last summer and it was great! No complaints, the staff and everyone associated with ISL are great people.

I am interested in volunteering abroad (Africa/Asia) during my summer between my M1 and M2 years and was wondering if anyone knew of any fun, safe, and reputable programs out there?

I used Child Family Health International (www.CFHI.org) to do a 4-week rotation in South America and was very pleased with the price and accommodations. Last I checked, they had about 40 programs on multiple continents with different lengths of stay. The price included rotation fees, a daily medical Spanish tutor, housing with a host family, most meals, a cell phone, emergency insurance, and transport from airport. CFHI is associated with the UN and did an excellent job with the program overall. I participated in a ton of fun volunteering opportunities while I was there as well.

I also took an 8-day trip to Central America between M1 and M2 using Global Medical Training (www.gmtonline.org). I really enjoyed this experience as well and would recommend the company, though not as highly as CFHI.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions or want additional info on either experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users