Medical Volunteer work

Started by lscaglio
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lscaglio

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
I want to get involved with some medical volunteer work/medical mission trips. Can anyone give some advice or suggestions as to which organizations to look at. Thank you.🙂
 
Regarding international medical volunteer opportunities, if you're in school or near a school, I'd ask the reference librarian; I've seen some great books on everything from names/contact info of international groups to books written by former volunteers on their experiences at my school's main library.

Or if it works out better to volunteer stateside, I had luck contacting local hospitals (wanted to gain substantial volunteer hrs when I have a few low-pressure months. Ended up volunteering in two hospitals around 24 hrs/week for several months, which worked well for my schedule. ps. my ER volunteer experience was the best in that it offered substantial patient interaction; in my OR role I was primarily supporting the medical staff, which was OK but patient interaction for the post-operation patients was minimal compared to the ER.