Medical Withdrawal

Started by meepmeep32
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

meepmeep32

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi. Looking for advice on my current situation. I'm currently a junior with a 3.88 GPA and, until now, good mental health. I've been struggling this semester due to personal stress factors (parent lost job, had to pick up slack to pay rent + food expenses, worked 2 jobs during 24 credit hr semester) that translated into depression and anxiety + academic stress (on track for: C- in ochem 2, B- biology lab, C/C- in biology, C in foreign language which I forgot to P/NP, 2 As in humanities class). All in all, terrible to say the least.

My therapist recommended a withdrawal to manage my mental health and enroll in an IOP this summer because it's escalated (right now I'm not sure if it'll be approved as a medical withdrawal because I reached out so late to health services, but even if I take a personal withdrawal it'll be due to mental health reasons anyways). My parents are encouraging me to finish the semester even if it's with Cs to get the classes done and graduate on time. I have an appointment next week with the premed advisor + my academic advisor.

If I take a withdrawal, I would return Spring '27. Regardless of if I take a withdrawal or not, I need to heal first, so I'll be prioritizing that this summer.

My questions:
1. Would it be better to take a semester of Ws (7 Ws) or ~3 Cs this semester, and would I still have a chance at DO/MD? (no previous Ws or Cs)
2. If I withdraw, I still need to take one or two classes in the meantime to show my university I'm ready to come back. I'll probably take summer courses at my university for my humanities major, but, in the fall, would it look bad to take biology + physics 1 at a community college near home (that way I could do my upper division classes like biochem, anatomy, physio, microbio when I come back)? This is the most financially viable + realistic option unfortunately since there are no 4 year colleges/college extensions nearby offering classes in person during the semester.
3. Looking into the future, when I apply to med school, would it be looked down upon if I withdrew for mental health?

Thanks in advance.
 
Last edited:
1) You should take a semester withdrawal. As mentioned above, it saves your GPA, and adcoms can discern something happened. Explain what happened when prompted.

2) If you are prioritizing your health, what is this contingency planning? Talk with your prehealth or academic advisor about your ideas, but we generally want to see you stabilize your situation first.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Above all, protect your GPA. It is unreasonable for your parents to accept help and then encourage you to permanently damage your transcript.

When an otherwise strong applicant has a rack of W's in a single semester it is obvious that something went down. You do not have to disclose every gory detail.
Yes, a withdrawal from the entire semester is your wisest move. Withdrawing makes all those grades null. You can retake what you need when you are in a better state of mind.
 
Above all, protect your GPA. It is unreasonable for your parents to accept help and then encourage you to permanently damage your transcript.

When an otherwise strong applicant has a rack of W's in a single semester it is obvious that something went down. You do not have to disclose every gory detail.
Thank you.
 
1) You should take a semester withdrawal. As mentioned above, it saves your GPA, and adcoms can discern something happened. Explain what happened when prompted.

2) If you are prioritizing your health, what is this contingency planning? Talk with your prehealth or academic advisor about your ideas, but we generally want to see you stabilize your situation first.
Thank you. For the contigency planning - I'm fighting shame/guilt over this withdrawal (something I'm working on) and I guess it manifested as contigency planning but yes definitely planning to stabilize my situation first thank you.
 
Thank you. For the contigency planning - I'm fighting shame/guilt over this withdrawal (something I'm working on) and I guess it manifested as contigency planning but yes definitely planning to stabilize my situation first thank you.
No need to feel shame. If you were peeing blood, you'd go to your doctor right away. This is no different