medicare and cash practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychdoc83

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,

I am in the midst of transitioning from a hospital employed position to solo private practice.

My question revolves around setting up a cash based practice while still having medicare credentials (not opted out). Briefly, I have agreed to do some telepsych work and also maintain an active affiliation with my current hospital (just not employed) and at the same time starting a pp 2 days per week that is cash based. Is there any issue with seeing patients on a cash basis if you are not opted out of medicare (excluding medicare patients)? obviously i am not going to be billing medicare for any services as i would not have those patients in the cash practice, the tele psych work is hourly pay.

i hope that this makes sense and thanks in advance for any replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You can’t see Medicare patients for cash unless opted out.
sorry i didn't clarify, i am wondering if anyone has run into issues seeing patients on a cash basis part time (excluding medicare patients) while also not being opted out because you are also doing work for a hospital etc. . and what the best way to do this is, i.e. having documents in your practice clearly stating that you do not take medicare patients at that location etc. thanks again

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My understanding is that if you're seeing Medicare patients through telepsych, you have to also see them in your private practice. The other option is to do telepsych and opt out of Medicare patients and not see Medicare patients via telepsych or through a side cash practice (unless they agree to pay you cash and not try for reimbursement). Others with experience can correct me if I'm wrong.

sorry i didn't clarify, i am wondering if anyone has run into issues seeing patients on a cash basis part time (excluding medicare patients) while also not being opted out because you are also doing work for a hospital etc. . and what the best way to do this is, i.e. having documents in your practice clearly stating that you do not take medicare patients at that location etc. thanks again

Documenting that is a good idea, but some will fall through the cracks. When patients get Medicare, you will need to fire them. Patients that didn’t listen or read the documents with Medicare will need to be refunded and fired.