Medicare Telehealth Flexibilities and Shutdown

Started by Psych19
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Am I missing something?

"Medicare patients can permanently receive telehealth services for behavioral/mental health care in their home."

Sounds like the party in power understands the strength of the senior vote which is increasingly utilizing MH services. That or you just missed the part about yearly in person visit requirements starting on Jan 1, 2026:

  • "An in-person visit within six months of an initial Medicare behavioral/mental telehealth service, and annually thereafter, is not required through September 30, 2025. For FQHCs and RHCs, the in-person visit requirement for mental health services furnished via communication technology to beneficiaries in their homes is not required until January 1, 2026."
I'm more interested in whether prescribing controlled substances is going to be allowed via telehealth. The New Year isn't far around the corner...tick tock tick tock....
 
I wish telehealth policies would go back to exactly what they were pre-"covid", for all patients. I have been against "tele" visits in general ever since it started during covid. I believe it would help our field on the patient care side and the business side.
 
I wish telehealth policies would go back to exactly what they were pre-"covid", for all patients. I have been against "tele" visits in general ever since it started during covid. I believe it would help our field on the patient care side and the business side.
Eh, yes and no. I do think in person is superior, but I see patients in a rural half of the state where the nearest psych NP is 2+ hours away. Imo it's ridiculous to make someone take an entire day to drive 5 hours both ways for a refill of lamotrigine and Zoloft and I'm not even in a state that's all that large geographically.
 
Eh, yes and no. I do think in person is superior, but I see patients in a rural half of the state where the nearest psych NP is 2+ hours away. Imo it's ridiculous to make someone take an entire day to drive 5 hours both ways for a refill of lamotrigine and Zoloft and I'm not even in a state that's all that large geographically.
They could easily make rules that allow people located in specific zip codes be treated via telehealth, or require less frequent in person visits. I don’t see why someone in Los Angeles should get their Adderall from an NP in Kentucky
 
my response was to double down on not accepting medicare.
I am so glad to see someone taking a stand.

But may I make a modest proposal that you triple down?

You should pay back every dollar to the Treasury to match the money Medicare funded your residency with to really show them. They'll never see it coming, and it'll send a very strong message: You are an island, no one can buy you, and you don't take crud from stinking bureaucrats.
 
They could easily make rules that allow people located in specific zip codes be treated via telehealth, or require less frequent in person visits. I don’t see why someone in Los Angeles should get their Adderall from an NP in Kentucky
Sure, there are plenty of possible solutions including exemptions for certain geographic areas, allowing telehealth but only if patient and psychiatrist are in the same state, requiring psychiatrists to be contracted with a local physician, etc. You know there would be plenty of discrimination lawsuits from urban centers filed following anything like that passed though.

I am so glad to see someone taking a stand.

But may I make a modest proposal that you triple down?

You should pay back every dollar to the Treasury to match the money Medicare funded your residency with to really show them. They'll never see it coming, and it'll send a very strong message: You are an island, no one can buy you, and you don't take crud from stinking bureaucrats.
I'll also make a modest proposal to quadruple you down:

Allow residents to bill for "supervised" patient encounters just like NPs and other mid-levels do so that their pay is commensurate with the work they do instead of getting paid 10-25% of what an attending psychiatrist makes or 25-30% of what NPs make. I just graduated residency 3-4 years ago and the most I made was around $25/hr. I'll buy the complaints of people saying we should be grateful for CMS funding our training when CMS starts paying "fair market value" for encounters instead of a fraction of what they deem encounters are actually worth.
 
I wish telehealth policies would go back to exactly what they were pre-"covid", for all patients. I have been against "tele" visits in general ever since it started during covid. I believe it would help our field on the patient care side and the business side.
I think this may be true if you primarily work with physically healthy adults. In my practice, I work almost exclusively with patients over 60, and those with the greatest needs often have the hardest time seeing me in person. Two patients from this past week illustrate this well. One believes she has a “sac” around her body and is unable to drive. Another is wheelchair-bound and depends on her husband, who is in his 80s, to physically lift her from the chair each time they leave the house. After watching their process, I told them that unless absolutely necessary, I didn’t want her to come in person again—it was simply too dangerous for both of them. I don’t expect upcoming regulatory changes to affect her care, as her prognosis is likely less than a year.

I also recall a case from geriatric psych fellowship involving a woman with morbid^2 obesity (over 500 pounds) whose three family members couldn’t get her from the parking lot into the clinic. I never ended up seeing her.

Although I agree that in-person care is the gold standard, for many of my patients, telehealth helps make safe, consistent care possible. This is especially true for my psychotherapy heavy practice (which is why I went into private practice - I did not want to be doing 15-20 min med checks), which typically requires much more frequent visits than medication management every 3-6 months. Before COVID, I felt that our geriatric psychiatry clinic was failing many in the community by not reaching the sickest, homebound patients. For my patient population, telehealth has helped close that gap.

YMMV.
 
Allow residents to bill for "supervised" patient encounters just like NPs and other mid-levels do so that their pay is commensurate with the work they do instead of getting paid 10-25% of what an attending psychiatrist makes or 25-30% of what NPs make. I just graduated residency 3-4 years ago and the most I made was around $25/hr. I'll buy the complaints of people saying we should be grateful for CMS funding our training when CMS starts paying "fair market value" for encounters instead of a fraction of what they deem encounters are actually worth.
Yeah the whole government subsidy of medical resident training really falls apart when you recognize that academic hospitals are safety net locations taken care of uninsured or medicaid populations and collect paltry sums of money for the same work (typically more complicated patients who receive better care). Additionally the idea that residents after intern year need supervision but we allow NPs or PAs to do the same work with dramatically less training just adds to the farcical nature of those statistics.
 
Yeah the whole government subsidy of medical resident training really falls apart when you recognize that academic hospitals are safety net locations taken care of uninsured or medicaid populations and collect paltry sums of money for the same work (typically more complicated patients who receive better care). Additionally the idea that residents after intern year need supervision but we allow NPs or PAs to do the same work with dramatically less training just adds to the farcical nature of those statistics.
Yes and no. It falls apart a bit but I don't think the idea of subsidized training is bad from a government standpoint for fields where trainees can reasonably start practicing independently fairly early like psychiatry. Like you say, it's heavily discounted labor for those who are uninsured or underinsured who would otherwise be financial sinks for the gov. Add in that residency years count towards PSLF and if a good number of those people continue to work for gov/underserved facilities for 6+ more years it's not a bad deal for them.

Meanwhile, residents make significantly less than their value and what they bring in and then people try and guilt them into feeling like they need to keep seeing Medicare/Medicaid patients because we "owe" CMS something for subsizdizing training. It's mutually beneficial for the first year or two when residents truly need supervision, but the benefit definitely skews one way past that. It's why we're starting to see so many private hospital systems opening up residency programs in fields like psych, IM, and FM, because they know residents are cheap labor that can increase their profit margins.
 
It's a little dense, but looks like medicare advantage plans can resume offering telehealth benefits. Review from our legal department is pending.

Effective immediately, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) is exercising enforcement discretion regarding the prohibition on mid-year benefit changes (42 CFR § 422.254(a)(5)) by Medicare Advantage (MA) organizations for certain telehealth benefits.

In accordance with 42 CFR § 422.101(a) and with limited exceptions, MA organizations must cover all Original Medicare Part A and B benefits, including those telehealth services available under section 1834(m) of the Act, as basic benefits. To support continuity of care and minimize enrollee confusion following the expiration of certain telehealth legislative payment provisions (“extenders”) on October 1, 2025, CMS is now permitting MA organizations to continue offering expired Original Medicare telehealth benefits as additional telehealth benefits under 42 CFR § 422.135 through December 31, 2025, or until Congress acts to continue the Original Medicare telehealth waivers, whichever occurs first.

Under this policy, MA organizations may continue to offer the benefits that expired with the Medicare legislative telehealth payment provisions passed under the Full-Year Continuing Appropriations and Extensions Act, 2025, as additional telehealth benefits under 42 CFR § 422.135, so long as they are provided uniformly to all similarly situated enrollees. Of note, per 42 CFR § 422.135(d), additional telehealth benefits may only be furnished through contracted providers.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad