I’ll buck the trend here a bit.
I think medicine *can* be a good career choice, with some conditions…you need to pick a decent specialty with reasonable hours and good pay, you need to try to minimize your debt in getting through the training process (BS/MD is a great way to do this - I would have loved two less years of time and expense spent training), and you need to set boundaries once you are done with training and you’re working your job. You also need to choose a job that will compensate you appropriately for your opportunity cost in training, as well as the immense amount of effort and stress that goes into this doctor thing (read: not academia).
I’m reasonably happy with medicine…probably my biggest beef with it was the long and extremely expensive training process. (I’ll also note that I’m a rheumatologist, not an ER doc). Whenever I start griping, I do remember that a lot of people out there - both white and blue collar - work at least as hard for much crappier pay, often under worse conditions. This doesn’t mean medicine is perfect with regards to these things - far from it - but it does mean that the grass is not necessarily greener elsewhere. I know guys my age from college who are working on Wall Street, and their schedules suck mightily. The idea that I can pull $500k working 4.5 days a week with weekends and nights off almost does not compute to them. Biglaw jobs suck hard too. One of the things that I like about medicine is that it is much more “egalitarian” with regards to training. You can go to pretty much any US medical school, and any residency, and as long as you do well and choose the right field, you can make money. This is not true in law and finance, where pedigree is extremely important and where the places that pay big $$$ will often not even talk to you if you didn’t go to the Ivy League, or other elite schools. There is no easy path to an upper middle class lifestyle in America anymore (if there ever was). Pick your poison, and if you like medicine and can keep it from taking over your entire life, go for it.
In terms of the genders as well as family life and work/life balance: the majority of people starting medical school now are women. The profession does a very poor job of helping anyone, male or female, figure out the work/life balance thing. This is not just a problem for women in medicine, this is a massive issue with the profession at large. I would recommend anyone looking to go into medicine learn not to make being a physician their entire identity - and once they are out of training, that they become comfortable with politely but firmly setting boundaries around the job.