China and Eastern Asia Medicine in Korea

Started by rugbyMD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rugbyMD

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys!

Anyone have ANY info on medicine in Korea? I'm going to be studying med in Australia but I would love to do an elective in Korea, is this possible? What about internship/practicing med?
Haven't read much of anything about Korea so any info would be awesome!
 
ummm.... i don't recommend it......

don't practice med in Korea.

Pay is low(the average is US$10000 per month including tax(about 1/3 of your income will be tax) well it's average i even saw some korean doctors who earns less then US$5000 per month) and you have to work as many as US doctor. And if you are korean please don't go koreans are hostile to doctor and government regulates bunch of things

I know those thing cuz my parents are korean doctors

maybe it is OK to practice in several hospitals for foreigners
 
Wow thanks for the info!
I'm actually not Korean I'm a "wagook" foreigner haha. I visited Korea over the summer and really enjoyed the environment, so now I'm independently trying to learn korean(hangul). I will be attending an Australian school as an international student so my debt will be too large to work in Korea if they aren't getting paid that much. Do you know if it's worth trying to do an elective there???

Thanks again for the help!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You are not Korean?? Where are you from?

Anyway, though Koreans are suck at medical researching(Well Korea govt. don't support it so well.....) in several fields of clinical medicine they are good. In plastic surgery, Korean doctors are great.(Lots of Chinese guys visit Korea to get plastic surgery) and in gastric and colon and other digestive organ-related cancer, Korea physician are good too, because bunch of Koreans suffer from those kind of cancer
 
I sent you a PM, should be in your in box...

Is there even opportunity for english speaking doctors to work in Korea?
 
I'm a medical student in KOREA

I'm in last year and I'm preparing the KMLE which will be taken at 2009.Jan

Have any Question? e-mail me~
 
Just curious to see if there was any followup on this thread. I'm american, but lived in Korea for two years as a missionary, and taught in Korean, so I'm somewhat fluent (probably not on medical terms though). I would like to go back and do a rotation there if possible, but don't really know where to start. Anyone have any knowledge about this?