Medicine or Pilot

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jargogle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a former regional airline pilot that decided to switch careers and ended up deciding to pursue medicine out of my new found interest in the human body. I am just finishing my prerequisites and plan to take the MCAT this summer. The dilemma is I have a job offer to go back to flying for my gap year(s) but don't know if working as an EMT would be more favorable in the adcoms eyes. Part of it is I'm deliberating between the two fields now. I love flying, it can be therapeutic at times, and could eventually make decent money with a good schedule but the industry is very unstable. I also love medicine and would really enjoy helping people as a primary care doctor. I know medicine is a long road and will be challenging with having two kids. I have shadowed a primary care doctor in the clinic so have a little insight into the daily life. I'm having a difficult choice deciding between the two. Can anyone offer their insight?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't do EMT. Pilot is way cooler. Just make sure to do well in your pre-reqs and get some clinical experience another way. Volunteering in the hospital/shadowing physicians is a better way to see what being a doc is like that than an EMT anyway and would probably take up less of your time.

You need to do more shadowing because that's really how you'll make up your mind. Try to shadow in a few different fields. If you're taking prereqs and studying for the mcat, you should be pretty sure that you're making the switch to medicine. In an interview, they will most likely ask you how you're sure you want to be a physician and not a pilot.

In terms of your gap year, I think the EMT would be beneficial because it would provide you with clinical experience (interacting with patients), which is something that applicants absolutely need, in one way or another. But at the same time, I can understand if you need the money from flying to support your family. In that case, you'd need to find another way to get clinical experience (ex. Hospital or hospice volunteering).

Members don't see this ad :)
Your decision depends on the amount of clinical experiences you have. If you already have sufficient clinical volunteering/shadowing, then you do not have to do EMT.

Everyone and their mother does EMT or other entry-level clinical jobs. Now how often do you see pilots?! Nit only is it unique, but it's something you enjoy and pays more. SKIP THE EMT and flt planes! :)

Just keep volunteering and do some shadowing. These are a minimal commitment. Skip any paid clinical work. You don't need it.

How many @2Doc accounts do we have… Paging @Pres2Doc

Reactions: 2 users
Being a pilot is awesome! That will definitely catch the eyes of adcoms in my opinion more than being an EMT.

hqdefault.jpg

If @Pres2doc isn't taken already, I'm tempted to create an account just to recount Bill Clinton's path to medicine

Reactions: 1 user
Pilots make crap wages their first year with an airline so as a short-term thing this may not be very desirable. On the other hand, if the pre-med thing doesn't work out you will have sent yourself up for a well paying job for however many years it takes to break into medicine.

EMT-B are a dime a dozen in pre-med land. Basically, you go from flying a plane to driving a rig. One applicant I interviewed didn't put any gloss on it; he said, "We pick 'em up and drive fast."

If you choose EMT, it is clear that you have made a break from flying and are going all in with health care.
If you choose to take a job as a pilot, there might be some niggling adcom who wonders how serious you are about medicine. On the other hand, among the hundreds of applicants the average adcom members see, you are likely to be the only pilot this year. Of course, you'll be "the pilot" even if you give it up and work as an EMT this year.

EMT-B are a dime a dozen in pre-med land. Basically, you go from flying a plane to driving a rig. One applicant I interviewed didn't put any gloss on it; he said, "We pick 'em up and drive fast."
My medical director always reminded us that the only fluid we EMTs use that improves patient outcomes is diesel fuel... the faster, the better!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you all for your kind input! It certainly gives the necessary insight I needed.

Hey fellow pilot. I was a successful applicant this year and thought I would throw in my 2 cents. I didn't get as far as you in aviation; I was a flight instructor (CFI, CFII) for only 3 years before I decided to pursue medical school.

As a previous poster mentioned, adcomms will be interested in why you are switching from a career in aviation to a career in medicine. I was asked that at every interview. What they are particularly interested in is why you would give up a career where you could potentially make 6-figures, is relatively easier to succeed in (though actually being a pilot as well, I know that isn't completely true. As you know, in most cases it takes years upon years of flying the crappy legs before getting seniority and better pay!!), and you get to travel the world...for free.

Personally, I think it would be important to move completely away from aviation, especially if you know medicine is definitely for you. Based on my experiences stated above, there can be no question in the adcomms mind that you are committed 100%!! As an example, in my PS I stated, "having the opportunity to compare aviation and medicine first-hand, I knew without a doubt that flying was a great hobby, but not the career choice for me." If there is any doubt in the adcomms mind, they will merely say "next applicant."

However, I'm not sure EMT is the way to go. Perhaps consider an ER scribe or other type of scribe or technician position. To gain medical experience, I worked as an ophthalmic technician for several years. During those years, I worked VERY closely with several physicians, and as a result got over 5 extremely strong (or so they said) letters of recommendation. I was also able to see up close and personal all aspects of being a physician: from running a practice, to communicating with patients, to attending medical meetings, to dealing with insurance companies. In other words, I got to see the good, the bad and the very ugly of medicine. If you play your cards right, your application could be one of the most unique during the year you apply, ensuring that you very much stand out.

p.s. By all means, keep doing aviation as a hobby. Once you have the flying bug, it is forever; and as you stated, is meditative.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Reactions: 1 users
You have a useful skillset that can pay your bills. Why not keep flying during the gap year and explain why it's a better choice in the meantime?

@Scottpilot, Happy to hear it worked out well for you. I agree, flying will always be there as a hobby.

Thanks for your input! Its nice to have insight from both perspectives.

You could in Alaska. Fly to rural communities and provide medical care they are so in need of. :)
LOL as I'm watching Life Below Zero I read your comment. Yes, that would be awesome for someone to do.