Medicine school in France

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oveeja

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The title should have said France or Italy, sorry for that.

First an introduction:
I am a 17 year old student living in Mexico. I am going to end what would be highschool in about 2 months, and I am planning on studying medicine in either France or Italy in about two years. I speak Italian but my French isn't that good, if I decide on France, I would be leaving to go live there a year before entering school.
One big problem though, my highschool isn't science oriented because that area doesn't exist in the public educational system here. I am going to take a 6 month curse which prepares students for medical school, it is called "prepadéutico".
My questions are:
What do I need to apply for a Medical school in France and/or Italy? as in what would I need to send through the embassy to apply? and what are the subjects that would be asked for my application?

I have heard that the cost is very low and this is one of the main reasons I am interested in France. Is it the same price for foregin students as it is for French students?

How expensive is a University in Italy? I have read that the only two private schools are in Rome and they are a bit more expensive than the public ones, how much more expensive?

I have heard that it is very difficult to stay in medical school in France but what I am really worried about is getting accepted in the first place. How difficult is it to get accepted being a foreign student?

I really haven't heard much about Italy. Is it as competitive as France? How are their programs? and the same question as with France. What would my chances be to be accepted in Italy?

I also have the option to go study a semester in Canada as I am a Canadian from my mother's side and then apply for a school in either one of these two countries. Would my chances be greater if I applied to enter the second semester or would they be the same, or worst?

Two last questions
Which faculties/universities would you recommend? and, which medical books in French and Italian would you recommend I start reading?

Anything else that you might like to add to give me tips on studying in these countries would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you all in advance and I really do hope you can help me because I am lost. And please excuse me for my English if it sounds off or is wrongly written.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The title should have said France or Italy, sorry for that.

First an introduction:
I am a 17 year old student living in Mexico. I am going to end what would be highschool in about 2 months, and I am planning on studying medicine in either France or Italy in about two years. I speak Italian but my French isn't that good, if I decide on France, I would be leaving to go live there for a year before entering school.
One big problem though, my highschool isn't science oriented because that area doesn't exist in the public educational system here. I am going to take a 6 month curse which prepares students for medical school, it is called "prepadéutico".
My questions are:
What do I need to apply for a Medical school in France and/or Italy? as in what would I need to send through the embassy to apply? and what are the subjects that would be asked for my application?

I have heard that the cost is very low and this is one of the main reasons I am interested in France. Is it the same price for foregin students as it is for French students?

How expensive is a University in Italy? I have read that the only two private schools are in Rome and they are a bit more expensive than the public ones, how much more expensive?

I have hear that it is very difficult to stay in medical school in France but what I am really worried about is getting accepted in the first place. How difficult is it to get accepted being a foreign student?

I really haven't heard much about Italy. Is it as competitive as France? How are their programs? and the same question as with France. What would my chances be to be accepted in Italy?

I also have the option to go study a semester in Canada as I am a Canadian from my mother's side and then apply for a school in either one of these two countries. Would my chances be greater if I applied to enter the second semester or would they be the same, or worst?

Two last questions
Which faculties/universities would you recommend? and, which medical books in French and Italian would you recommend I start reading?

Anything else that you might like to add to give me tips on studying in these countries would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you all in advance and I really do hope you can help me because I am lost. And please excuse me for my English if it sounds off or is wrongly written.
I don't know the exact requirements for getting accepted in a medical school in France, but what I know is that is not that difficult to get in. You see, French medical schools pretty much accept everyone, and every school has a number of seats for international students. The problem is not getting accepted there, the problem is to pass the concours. The concours is an exam that you have to do after your first year, and is extremely difficult to pass (I believe only about 15 % of the students pass it the first time), you pretty much can say that the concours is the selection exam, that the french system uses to remove the excess in medical students. The concours is the reason why so many international students or french students for that matter, can't make it through medical school there. Not trying to scare you, just giving you a heads up. If you know some french, you should try calling the medical schools there, and ask them for the requirements. I would certainly not worry about getting accepted, but making it through the concours.
I don't know much about the Italian system, I do know that you will have to do an entrance exam though, and that it's supposed to be somewhat competitive.
About Canada, maybe you don't know this, but the Canadian medical schools require a 4-year University degree to even apply to a medical school there. You cannot apply as a high school graduate. Not to mention that it's extremely competitive to even get accepted into a medical school in North America. Also, the North American systems are very different from the European systems. So you can't transfer credits from one continent to another. You would have to start all over again.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that European schools are know to be very cheap.

Last edited:
Thank you. You answer was very helpful.
If it isn't too much to ask, could I ask for your personal oppinion regarding which school is better?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!
I am in 2nd year in France, i will try to give you some advices! ( My english is really bad, sorry^^)
Don't come to france if you don't, at least understand VERY good the language!
For natives french, the first year is really, really hard so if you don't understand very good the french language you can't be as competitive as natives!
The best colleges are: mine :) -->Paris 6 (Faculté de Médecine Pierre et Marie Curie or FMPMC -->http://www.fmpmc.upmc.fr/)
and Paris 5 (René descartes-->http://www.medecine.univ-paris5.fr/)
they accept every students, there is no selection to get into first year of medical studies like "hamsterfeet" said.
In my university we were between 2300 and 2400 students in first year, when the quota was at 310!^^ this year 80% of ranked students this year have repeated their first year previous year!
[COLOR=#0]Tuition fees are between 150€ and 200€[/COLOR] a year in every universities!
I can recommend you books after you get registered at the university ( you can't get them on the internet)
You have to know a last thing, if you stay in France, as a foreigner you will be less paid than french (something like 30% less)
Au revoir ;)

P.S.: sorry for allll the synthaxes and languages mistakes, I am trying to improve my english!
200€=290$

Hi!
I am in 2nd year in France, i will try to give you some advices! ( My english is really bad, sorry^^)
Don't come to france if you don't, at least understand VERY good the language!
For natives french, the first year is really, really hard so if you don't understand very good the french language you can't be as competitive as natives!
The best colleges are: mine :) -->Paris 6 (Faculté de Médecine Pierre et Marie Curie or FMPMC -->http://www.fmpmc.upmc.fr/)
and Paris 5 (René descartes-->http://www.medecine.univ-paris5.fr/)
they accept every students, there is no selection to get into first year of medical studies like "hamsterfeet" said.
In my university we were between 2300 and 2400 students in first year, when the quota was at 310!^^ this year 80% of ranked students this year have repeated their first year previous year!
[COLOR=#0]Tuition fees are between 150€ and 200€[/COLOR]. a year in every universities!
I can recommend you books after you get registered at the university ( you can't get them on the internet)
You have to know a last thing, if you stay in France, as a foreigner you will be less paid than french (something like 30% less)
Au revoir ;)

P.S.: sorry for allll the synthaxes and languages mistakes, I am trying to improve my english!
200€=290$

Hey! I was wondering if it true about the Exam that you have to take after Year 1. Is it really THAT hard? What that exam covers? What school are you at?
I am at USA but I am looking into European schools so any advice will be nice ! )))
Thank you!

Why is that? Why do people who work and pay taxes like the French people do can't have the same benefits that French people enjoy?

Hi !
I would suggest you to choose carefully the school you want to apply to in France. The more crowded, the harder the selection.
In my uni we are like 3300 and only 315 are selected so... You have to basically study the entire week, forget shopping, hanging out with friends, and sometimes even texting... Motivation and endurance are key as everything you need to know for the concours is covered by the teacher.
For the material covered, we have mainly biochemistry, biology, anatomy, biostats, radioactivity, sociology.
The year begins in September to end in May (half of may exactly), with 3-4 weeks of Christmas holidays.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but many French students get enrolled without realizing what they are doing. I'm trying to give a clear picture so you won't regret it all the way from Mexico !

Have a nice day !

I'm gonna offer a different advice: if your French language skills are excellent, French med school is a great choice! do get enrolled to see if you can handle the curriculum for 1 year - this is the best way to do it - I wish the American system were like this :) It's the best test ever to see if you're made out to be a doctor. it's only 1 year, and tuition is free! after 1 year, if you don't make the cut, you can think about alternative careers later but at least you get the chance to try out med school! :)

I realize this is an older thread, but maybe I can get some guidance...

I am currently living in Paris with a Long Term Stay Visa, while my citizenship is being processed (my father is French and I have family in France). I went to Uni at USC in LA, and actually have worked in interior architecture for most of my career. I am now 32. Since I was a teenager I thought about perusing a medical degree, but then when I was younger ended up deciding on interior architecture for various reasons. However, I still think about medicine, particularly because I truly do feel inclined to utilize it to try and contribute some help in this increasingly crazy world of ours. Does anybody know if it is at all possible to apply to Medical School in France (et oui, je parle francias) at my age? Are there are pre-requisites to be taken? Should I apply through the Embassy as previously noted in this link which says this is how non-EU nationals apply to the Med schools in France (https://www.studyineurope.eu/study-in-france/how-to-apply)? Or can I do so directly through the school's website? It is enticing that as seen on this thread, the first year accepts almost anybody, so I can give it a real shot.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Merci.

Last edited:
I realize this is an older thread, but maybe I can get some guidance...

I am currently living in Paris with a Long Term Stay Visa, while my citizenship is being processed (my father is French and I have family in France). I went to Uni at USC in LA, and actually have worked in interior architecture for most of my career. I am now 32. Since I was a teenager I thought about perusing a medical degree, but then when I was younger ended up deciding on interior architecture for various reasons. However, I still think about medicine, particularly because I truly do feel inclined to utilize it to try and contribute some help in this increasingly crazy world of ours. Does anybody know if it is at all possible to apply to Medical School in France (et oui, je parle francias) at my age? Are there are pre-requisites to be taken? Should I apply through the Embassy as previously noted in this link which says this is how non-EU nationals apply to the Med schools in France (https://www.studyineurope.eu/study-in-france/how-to-apply)? Or can I do so directly through the school's website? It is enticing that as seen on this thread, the first year accepts almost anybody, so I can give it a real shot.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Merci.

Bonjour :)
Since you are on a Long Term Stay Visa, and waiting citizenship, you may not be considered foreigner. You should call the medical school where you are considering to apply and see which application they need. If you are still considered as a foreigner, but since you are already living there, you would need to fill the "Dossier Vert". It seems the due date are before the 31st of December for the first paperwork, and all of it the 22nd of January! So you may have to hurry if you didn't began yet.
http://medecine.u-clermont1.fr/dipl...-en-medecine-francais-pour-les-etrangers.html
http://www.enseignementsup-recherch...lable-a-une-inscription-en-premier-cycle.html
https://www.formulaires.modernisation.gouv.fr/gf/cerfa_11126.do
https://www.formulaires.modernisati...ce.do?cerfaNotice=50676&cerfaFormulaire=11126

You may have a language test to take, not sure how hard it is, but you said you are speaking french. Call any "Ecole de Medecine" and ask them all your questions directly.
Hope this help
Bon courage!

I'm currently learning French now, and I have a bachelors in microbiology (and a non-EU person), are there other things to consider? I figured French would be my priority.