Medicine Shelf Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kate0834tkjn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I've got 2 weeks left to study for the medicine shelf....I'm hoping for some advice from those who took the exam somewhat recently about using USMLE World. A classmate told me that she only did a few sets of questions, but a few of the questions seemed like they came right off USMLE World and she wished she'd done more. I've only done like 200 Q's, but am wondering if it would be helpful to do as much as possible. My other sources are step up, which I've read once, and MKSAP, which I've done once. I don't know how much I retained from the one reading of step up, so I'm sort of thinking of re-reading a few chapters. I'd also like to get through MKSAP once more. So basically, I'm wondering if it's worth it to try to get through as much U-world as possible, or if I should just stick to reviewing MKSAP/Step Up at this point. It seems the MKSAP/Step Up strategy is tried and true based on reading these threads, but that USMLE World hasn't been discussed too much. Thanks for any input!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I would finish USMLE world and read the sections in Step-Up which you seem to be the most deficient in. 2 weeks should be plenty of time to do that.

Step up + world is better than Step up + MKSAP in my opinion.

I did all three and if I could do it over again I would focus on Step Up, do world, then go back and really hit hard the sections I missed a lot of questions in.

I would finish USMLE world and read the sections in Step-Up which you seem to be the most deficient in. 2 weeks should be plenty of time to do that.

Step up + world is better than Step up + MKSAP in my opinion.

I did all three and if I could do it over again I would focus on Step Up, do world, then go back and really hit hard the sections I missed a lot of questions in.

I agree. Step Up and USMLEWORLD were better than MKSAP.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for your quick responses!!!

It's a tough comparison though because MKSAP has something like 300 questions (rough guess) and USMLEWORLD has 1,491 IM questions... good luck doing those twice before the shelf.