1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Medicine vs. Dentistry

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by dolcegabbana, Feb 20, 2007.

1. dolcegabbana

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hey Everyone...

I'm currently trying to decide between applying for medicine and dentistry during the next application cycle. I am well informed about both professions.. but I was wondering what different reasons everyone has for pursuing dentistry over medicine?

Thanks Alot! :)

2. azbioc

azbioc New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Better dr/patient relationships, not as much insurance hassle, better hours (for the most part), and a lot more job satisfaction within the dentists I talked to as compared to md's to name a few of my reasons.

3. pmantz

pmantz Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    eeny, meeny, miny mo

flip a coin

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. armorshell

armorshell One Man Freak Show
    Physician Dentist Moderator Emeritus Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Even thought there's way too many factors to get into here, I'm going to boil it down into a nice, easy to digest, one sentence blurb:

"Do you want to live to work, or work to live?"

5. jackbauer!

jackbauer! Guest

Dental Student
    he speaks the truth!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. HermeytheElf

HermeytheElf Guest

Pre-Dental
    What a refreshingly original topic for a thread. It's amazing that such a question has not come up before. If only we had way to see...some type of searching function that would allow us to look for older threads...

7. Drill2Fill

Drill2Fill DentalStudentWannabe
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    One word. Lifestyle.

8. aphistis

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Dentist
    :laugh:

9. NavyDDS

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Aphistis, I have to say, ever since I found out about SDN (Dec 1)... I am easily distracted by the urge to slack off and scroll through the forums a 1/2 a dozen times a day. I recently reached a milestone in my slackerdom on SDN by going over 50 posts! I was so proud... until I realized that you are
    100X the slacker that I will ever amount to :( That's when it came to me... there is no way you could possibly be human. By any chance are you really an octapus like robot with four sets of eyes and tenticles with a super computer brain like "Hal" from Space Odyssey 2001 that controls the universe of SDN?:thumbup: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :idea:

10. aphistis

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Dentist
    That might be carrying the mental picture a *little* too far... ;) The admins are the only ones who control the SDN universe. The rest of us are just glorified hall monitors. :)

11. Dr. Dai Phan

Dr. Dai Phan Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Verified Account 7+ Year Member

Dentist
    IMHO this is the wrong place to ask since the responses in Dental Forum tend to be biased. Dentistry and medicine are two totally different fields. One cannot find satisfaction in dentistry if your heart is in medicine and vise versa. Shadow both and deciede for yourself. Once you settle in dentistry, talk to me and I will tell you if you make the right choice. DP

12. reapply2007

reapply2007 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    If you have money to burn, apply to dental school during the summer before your Junior year in college. That way, you'll understand the process pretty well, and possibly get some interviews to see what dental school is about. You don't have the luxery of applying to med school this early. If you don't get in after your jr year, then either reapply or go medical. This is pretty untraditional thinking, and likely to cost you some decent money and energy to get the application strong, plus taking the DAT with the the possibility of retaking it if you need to reapply the following year and don't do well the first time.

Conventional wisdom suggests you should spend time shadowing both professions before you make an informed decision and then apply to one program. Do not apply to Dental school and Medical school at the same time as the two application processes cross talk and you are unlikely to get into either with simultaneous applications.

13. kaizendj

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    In my experience, I have found that one of the biggest reasons pre-meds vow not to go pre-dent is their position that learning about teeth is boring compared to learning about the entire body. What do you pre-dents (or dentists) find more interesting about the subject of dentistry versus medicine? I am aware that dental students take many similar courses to medical students, but when they begin to practice, much of their work focuses exclusively on the mouth.

14. pre-dentalguy

pre-dentalguy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hell Yeah... that's real talk!!

15. NavyDDS

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

ever heard of golf?:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :smuggrin:

16. kappa505

kappa505 eres tu que mi odio
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    From IHD to you through me. GTFO

17. pacbum

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    i couldn't be happier that i chose dentistry over medicine...as said before, lifestyle, more personal patient relationships, less stress, and enjoyable work (working with your hands is great, how many medical doctors perform surgery ona daily basis?)

and in response to the post about it being boring bc you're only working on teeth...why is that so boring? many doctors specialize to become experts on a certain systems of the body. we're doing the same thing.

18. Drill2Fill

Drill2Fill DentalStudentWannabe
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Exactly. The MD's that don't specializes, IM and FP, tend to have the jack of all trades, master of none syndrome. They usually end up being the least paid, and more overworked, compared to their specialized counterpart.

19. KOM

KOM Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    It's in my genes. Between the fishing and hunting genes.

I don't know why I got a C in genetics.