medicine vs surgery grade

Started by adp
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

adp

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
which one is more important in the application process, medicine or surgery? I made a B earlier this year in my Medicine rotation and I am on surgery now and working hard trying to make an A. I guess since it is a surgical subspecialty, then it is better to make a B in medicine and an A in surgery? Will a B in medicine hurt my chances significantly if everything else in my application (boards, research, letters) are all good?
 
Your surgery grade is more important. Obviously it doesn't hurt to have your grades as high as possible, but remember that ENT is a surgical subspecialty. If you do well in surgery and in your ENT sub-I, you should be fine. Also remember to get predominantly ENT letters when you apply -- you can have one letter from general surgery, but don't bother getting letters from your other rotations.