Medscape Burnout

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

odyssey2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Posted in med students forum but thought it was worth re-posting here. In latest Medscape physician burnout survery, radiology had the sixth highest burnout rate, between FM and OB/GYN. Anyone else surprised how high this is

Members don't see this ad.

1580588774252.png

1580588788652.png

Is this just physicians self identifying as burnt out?

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Lmao family med is even higher. This survey has all the biases uworld and step loves to test on. Maybe they should start using these results as a question prompt.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Is it due to increasing pressure to read more and to read faster? I know that radiology can be mentally taxing but just curious.

there is no chance that allergy docs have more burnout than general surgery

Reactions: 1 users
There's so much sample bias in these medscape surveys. I think general trends are helpful (ie derm consistenly one of the least burnt out each year) but looking at any specific year is not very helpful. ie internal medicine was #4 last year and this year not in top 10. Radiology was #12 last year.

Reactions: 2 users
Because these people are two different groups of people.
General surgeons have superiority complex and are willing to give up the quality of their lufe just to becalled surgeona. Also they enter surgery with a mindset that it is going to be brutal.

On the other hand in certain fields people see it only as a job and define themselves less by their job. They have different priorities.

In summary it is all about expectations and selection bias. If you switch different physician groups, the results of the survey won't be the same

example: You can buy a 3 dollar perfume at Amazon that gets a better rating than a 150 dollar one. It doesn't mean it smells better. It's all about different expectations when you pay 3 versus 150 dollars and even different groups of customers.

Reactions: 1 user
You have to use direct and indirect measures for burnout. You can’t just ask a few people “do you feel burned out?” This survey is meaningless.

I think the biggest contributor to burnout in radiology is a feeling of loss of control over what we do. Applies to all medicine, but especially radiology. Radiologists are at the whim of referrers as to which studies they order, and have little control over what actions are taken based on the results.

Because it’s not the lifestyle causing burnout (except IR).

I think the biggest contributor to burnout in radiology is a feeling of loss of control over what we do. Applies to all medicine, but especially radiology. Radiologists are at the whim of referrers as to which studies they order, and have little control over what actions are taken based on the results.

Because it’s not the lifestyle causing burnout (except IR).

I feel more burned out after a full day of reading DR than I do doing a full day of IR. It's not the lifestyle that causes burnout. I could do IR all day every day. Autonomy definitely plays a role in it, since I have the authority in IR to determine if cases are feasible or not and can say no if a procedure isn't indicated or appropriate. DR is more like a firehose; you take whatever crap the ordering clinician throws at you, no matter how s***ty the reason for the study.

Last edited: